Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for a AI resort that both teens & adults will enjoy!!

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
We are looking to travel to the Cancun/ Maya Riviera area in July with my 18 year old son. This will be his graduation/going away gift as he is leaving for Army basic training in August. Its super important that he has a good time but I dont want to sacrifice quality & relaxation either
I dont have a big budget (approx $3000) and we are looking to stay for 4 nights/5 days. We are not against staying in Cancun but it seems that all the resorts are either very crowded or very centered on the party atmosphere. I realize my son can legally drink while in Mexico and that frightens me a bit. He can not seem to find a friend to bring with us so its important that we can go to a resort that offers a good teen program or at least has a lot to offer to young adults around his age so that he can meet some friends to hang out with when we are there. I have been researching for WEEKS and I have it narrowed down to these few resorts. If anyone can give their feedback I would be greatly appreciative. I am also open to any suggestions Keeping in mind my budget.
Barcelo Tropical & Colonial
Grand Palladium Kantenah
Crown Paradise Cancun
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barcelo is a good resort on a great beach.
Also look into the Iberostar Paraiso complex. Lots for all people to do or you can kick back and relax.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 02:55 AM

cancun.bookit.com best AI deals honest reviews
iberostar.com for me also Paradisus and Barcelo
best teen/kids programs.

Happy Hunting!
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 06:43 AM

We were at Grand Palladium last summer, and although our kids weren't teens, we really enjoyed the whole complex. Great snorkeling right off the beach. Several large pools. Many restaurants and no reservations required. The beach was wide and very nice. There seemed to be a lot of activities going on all day. You have access to all 4 hotels while staying at Kantenah, so I can't imagine you'd not find something to keep busy! We liked the overall location as well. It was convenient for day trips to places like Xel Ha, Xcaret and Tulum. I wasn't really looking for young adults - but there did seem to be a mix of families (our kids were 10 and 12) as well as teens with their parents. Also there were several couples there as well. It's a huge complex - so I think you'd do well there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM

We enjoyed the Barcelo with our kids a few years back (younger teens at the time). There's all kinds of activities for kids and adults of all ages, or you could just relax at the beach or pool. I remember the the tennis and basketball courts seemed always to be available, which was a big plus for my son. They even had mini-golf and a mini par 3 type golf course, all included with the AI. There was also decent snorkeling off the pier as well.

We have since switched to condo rentals walking distance to Playa Del Carmen, where there are tons of restaurants, shopping, night life and great beaches.