Renting a car in St. Kitts/Nevis

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:16 AM
iw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a car in St. Kitts/Nevis

We normally depend on taxis, but how easy/difficult is it to rent a car on the islands?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:20 AM

There are plenty of rental car companies on both islands and you can usually get a car on relatively short notice (except perehaps during peak times such as the week between Christmas/New Years and other major holiday periopds. Some companies have recirocal agreemnts between both islands.. Check out the following (all in area code 869):

On St. Kitts -
Avis - 466-6507
Delisle Walwyn - 465-8449
Handley's 465-0545
TDC - 465-2991

On Nevis-
Noels's -469-5199
Nevis Car Rental - 469-9837
M&M Rentals - 469-9798
Striker's 469-2634
TDC - 469-5690

You'll have to purchase a Tempory St. Kitts/Nevis driver's license (available at the rental agency or the main police station).
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM

I've rented a car on each island once and it was easy and well worth it. I can't remember our rental company on Nevis, but they brought the car to our hotel. On St. Kitts we rented from Avis and they picked us up at the hotel and drove us into Basseterre to get the car. Both times we rented a regular car, not a jeep or anything with 4WD. Roads on St. Kitts were the best I"ve driven on in the Caribbean in terms of repair and width. Very few blind corners.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:04 AM

iw - I would defintely consider renting a car, at least part of the trip. Its so nice to just go without worrying about calling a taxi, etc. plus as you know it can get expensive using only taxis. And as EJ mentioned they are easier to get around driving-wise than a lot of other islands.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM

Definitely rent a car. Very easy island to navigate as there isn't a lot of traffic. Remember to drive on the left.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
iw
Original Poster

Thanks to all!

bajangirl: I am afraid that I will drive on the right after all these years of practice in the US! Argh!

MIM: Taxis do get expensive, and as you have been following my planning stages, you know that we are also going to St. Barth, so most of our $ will go to taxis and tipping, I am sure. Do you recommend travelers checks? Last year, St. Martin was the only island that charged a fee to exchange them. I am leaning towards a credit card instead. Thoughts?

Since we have been to SKB and Nevis, I do think we would know where we want to go if we get a car.

Anyone else who reads this: Do the same packing rules apply for 3 oz liquid stuff between islands? That will be a new and different twist for me!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 05:34 AM

iw - just FYI taxis are hard to find on St Barths. Have you considered renting a car there? At certain times its impossible to get one. I would rent a car in St Barts over any other place because taxis are not widely available. Pretty much everyone rents a car. There are lots of rental agencies at the airport.
http://www.st-barths.com/ here is a site with visitor info.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Hi iw - I am formerly Carib_dreamn...but I noticed your post and wanted to share my thoughts - we rented a car from TDC - I had heard cautions as they have too many things going on on the island but we had a good experience of them and a rental was ready for us when we arrived in Nevis, no extra cost - we walked in ready for complications and in five minutes walked out with keys to our Nevis car.

Driving on St.kitts is the best I have experienced of all the islands and it was such a joy to be able to navigate our days - we saw everything we wanted and had the freedom to make decisions on the spot like - at Shipwreck - this is too great lets stay all afternoon!!

Have fun!!!!!