Recommends for Caribbean 1st-timers?

Feb 14th, 2000, 12:11 AM
John

Recommends for Caribbean 1st-timers?

It's finally time for a long-delayed honeymoon. Fast night life is not important to us. Rather, we're looking for great scuba, snorkeling & beaches, along with lush tropical forest for hiking, bicycling. Just scanning these forums I think St. Lucia or St Martin look like the closest fit.

What do you recommend for your experience?

Feb 14th, 2000, 01:16 AM
Caroline

Hi John,

Last year we went to Antigua (in Feb) and enjoyed the caribbean so much that we went to Tobago in October. We loved both, but if you want rain forests Tobago is the place for you. It is very reasonably priced - a full day's island tour including lunch was 45. A day's car hire was under 50. One warning though - islands that are lush and green are inevitably very hot and humid - over 30 degrees and 95% humidity is about the norm. Some people we met cycled, but we couldn't face it - it is also very hilly as well as hot! There was no night life other than a few bars, but we found that because of the humidity and time difference we were in bed by 10.30 every night.

Finally, Grenada may also fit your requirements. We are going there in May. We've got a video and it looks quite beautiful. Again, rainforests, waterfalls, mountains and small enough to travel round in a day.

Good luck

Feb 14th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Cheri

Caroline, where did you stay in Tobago? WE are considering it for December and can't decide where to stay.

Feb 14th, 2000, 02:55 PM
teri

John, St. Lucia would be perfect for your needs. We vacationed there in Aug/99 and loved it. We stayed at Anse Chastanet which is a beautiful resort with all open air rooms, incredible views and lots to do. The snorkeling is the best on the island regardless where you stay. They also have the best dive shop on the island. They have just converted an old sugar plantation next to the resort to include hiking and mountain bike trails. We took a rain forest hiking tour and loved it. There are also other tours to waterfalls, the volcano, etc. The beach at AC is all natural black sand beach with palm trees everywhere, it was beautiful. As far as night life, there is none. Its a very quiet resort that basically shuts down early. I suggest you check out there website www.ansechastanet.com also check out Ladera another wonderful resort at www.laderaresort.com. Hope this helps.

Feb 15th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Cheryl

John, Look no further! Try St. Martin!What a beautiful island. Good snorkeling, and beautiful beaches. Go to WWW.Orientbeach.com for all your questions.

Feb 15th, 2000, 11:31 AM
lorraine

What about St. John? We went there last year and it was definitely the most beautiful island I have been--great snorkeling, food, hiking, tours. We rented a car everyday to travel to the different beaches (very private). It is expensive but well worth the money. I can't wait to go back in a few years. We stayed at the Westin but there was an even nicer one that starts with a C--sorry can't remember the name right now.

Feb 15th, 2000, 02:51 PM
Karen

Hi John: St. Lucia, Grenada and St.John would probably be great choices for you. Grenada is still rather
unspoiled and there are lots of places to hike. St John would be the most commercial of the three. Martinique is also a lovely island with nice beaches and lots of rainforest to explore. The beaches in Grenada are beautiful much nicer than ST. Lucia. Although i also liked St. Martin there is not the hiking your after or tropical forests, there is however beautiful beaches. To me the island that has everything is Barbados, gorgeous beaches, history botanical gardens caves, snorkling and nice restaurants. Aruba is a favorite but does not have the lushness your after. So many islands that fit your bill, maybe you'd enjoy a cruise so you
can see a few islands this time to see where you'd really like to stay for an
extended visit. If you enjoy exploring on your own renting a car on Barbados or St.martins is alot of fun. Have a great honeymoon wherever you go.Karen

Feb 15th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Melanie

Lorraine, if you check this again, I was interested in your opinion of the Westin. We're going in March and staying there. Did you have a favorite restaurant? Was it crowded? How is the beach access? Also, the C resort you were thinking of was probably Caneel Bay Resort. It's the other big one besides the Westin. Thanks for any information you can give.

John, I've been in St. John before and am returning this year for two weeks. We're renting a house one week and staying at the Westin the other. It's absolutely beautiful! It has many wonderful and private beaches, great snorkeling and is 2/3 National Park so there's great hiking and horse back riding available. You can also take day trips to other islands (I would recommend the BVI) do see what they have to offer.

Mar 19th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Becky

I agree with an earlier post on St. John, the lushest most beautiful place i've been so far. I've not been to St. Lucia yet, and am thinking about going there next year but, I just can't imagine any island being more beautiful than st. john.