Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Rawlins Plantation - Message to cw: Construction update

Apr 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Dear cw,
You have saved my life (or at least my holiday)!
I have posted this as a new message since it is really new information and valuable to other
posters. In my previous inquiry about the change
in ownership at Rawlins, you mentioned that I should ask about possible construction of new
cottages. This was not disclosed to me originally (I was told "plans for plantation are in keeping with current atmosphere"), but when I specifically asked (upon your suggestion) if this would impact my prospective holiday in December, I received a message that indeed new cottages are being put into place (regrettably "prefab" ones) and that
there was a hope not to disrupt guests' stay. Enough said. Your information was absolutely correct that this would have an impact on any stay
and I have definitely decided to forego a stay at Rawlins at this time. An interesting note (I would
like to hear your impression of this) - the assistant
manager (female) "forwarded" my inquiry on new construction to a person with the same surname (male), giving me reason to believe that everything is being kept "in the family" so speak, but disconcerting as to "connections". My reply was not from Rawlins but from this "related person" at the Rawlins website.
Apr 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM
cw

Dear Boonie,

Oh dear, "prefab" cottages are not good news.

The young couple from England who were acting as managers were very nice and helpful but I had the impression, not experienced in the hospitality industry.

I think the new owners will redo the Rawlins website, and at that point, we will all have a better idea of the future.

I read your review of Golden Rock and have a better idea of your concerns and questions. I think you've made the right decision for now. But who knows what will happen in the future.

If you would like more information or impressions, leave your email address and I'll get in touch with you directly.

cw
Apr 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM
cw

Boonie,

Or email me at [email protected].

cw
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:55 PM

We stayed at Rawlins Plantation for the first time over Christmas and had a wonderful time. Our previous 2 stays on St Kitts have been at the Marriot---never again!
THe new owners are nice people and eager to please. The food and accommodation were delightful. I like the little but important changes they have made, such as double doors on the kitchen to keep the birds out, covering the butter and sugar bowls etc with lids to keep the friendly birds at bay at breakfast---obviously an oversite by the previous owners! Locals tell me their has been a big improvement to the bar area too and the Prime Minister visited for lunch while we were there too.
There are going to be some cottages built, but the owners have already landscaped some beautiful plantings around the plots because the positioning of the cottages will have a minimal impact to the grounds and noise on the plantation. We have already booked to stay next year.
Jan 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
cw

Hi okok

Glad you enjoyed yourself. It's a beautiful spot, isn't it?

I see that this is your first post. What did you do on your St. Kitts visits? You must love it to have returned three times. I always love reading trip reports from my favorite island, favorite beaches, shops, sights, etc. I always learn something nes.

Just wondering. If you had never been there before, how did you know the sugar bowls didn't have covers?

Jan 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM

Hi cw, not into message boards very much, so just saw your reply. We are Brits who live in the US. One of the owners is British and we got on very well, he told us about some of the simple changes, like sugar bowls covers, that have been made since they took ownership. We are going back to Rawlins next year, we love the fact that ST Kitts is the real Caribbean, quiet, very beautiful, prices not too high etc etc Ok goota go, okok
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Rawlins Plantation Inn will be closed for annual vacation from Monday, August 7th and reopening on September 24th, 2006.