Questions about Staniel Cay...

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Questions about Staniel Cay...

Hi, I will be staying at Staniel Cay Yacht Club for 4 nights in May and I was wondering if anyone who has stayed there before could answer a few questions: Did you take out the Boston Whaler? If so, can you go as far as the Exuma Land and Sea Park? How is the snorkeling right at Staniel Cay? (Thunderball Grotto cool?)And what are the options for restaurants? Is the food pricey, and if so do you recommend getting the all inclusive or meal plan through the hotel. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Oh, one other question...do you need to make reservations for Flamingo Air out of Nassau, or do you just show up? Thanks again for any info.

My personal websites:
www.naturalbornhikers.com
www.nbhtravel.com
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:35 PM

I'm anxious to hear the replies. We flew to Staniel Cay in July from Harbor Island for a day of sight-seeing by air. Had lunch at Staniel Cay. I would definately have a boat as that is the draw of the area. Island itself is not a "hang-out by the beach" kind of place. Gosh, the beaches and watert you can see by boat are in-credible!!! There is an island nearby with pink iguanas!

Please post your trip report. We are looking at this area again for this summer and would like to hear your comments.

(The costs for lunch at SCYC were about $5 for conch sandwich- recommended- nothing fancy there.)

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Will do! Trip report coming in May
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM

velodurt:
wondering if you enjoyed your trip to Staniel Cay Yacht Club. It's still on our list for this year -- what was your experience??

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Hey Beachgirl247, Staniel Cay Yacht Club was incredible!!! I am still working on posting my report and pics, but if you have any questions in the meantime fire away. Everything was perfect at SCYC!! The food, the island, the people, the boat you get to use to discover other islands...you name it! I would be glad to help answer some questions...just let me know.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:06 AM

velodurt

What source did you use for air travel to SCYC? How far did you venture and what cays did you visit by boat from Staniel Cay?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

RobertoB, We flew into Nassau and then over to Staniel Cay via Flamingo Air. We toured the whole island of Staniel Cay by foot and bicycle. We took "our" boat to several of the surrounding islands including Thunderball Grotto, Bitter Guana Cay, Big Major Cay, Compass Cay, and a few others. We also hired a guide, Raymond Andrews, -who was totally awesome- to take us up to the Exuma Land and Sea Park as far as Warderick Wells. It was all so beautiful! I should have my photos posted soon...I will post a link as soon as the trip report is available. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Thanks velodurt. Sounds like it was a good move to hire a guide to see the park. Had to be a great trip between Staniel Cay and Warderick Wells. Looking forward to your report.

BeachGirl247 if you go please post a report.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone, Here is a link to our travel journal as promised. It details our trip to Staniel Cay and has tons of photos. Enjoy! Happy 4th of July!!

www.nbhtravel.com
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Velodurt - Thanks for sharing your trip report and pics. Absolutely outstanding pics. I'm glad someone finally reported back on Staniel Cay as it's been on my "list" for a while.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the web posting velodurt. Your report and photos do a great job of portraying Staniel Cay and the surrounding cays better than any of the commercial sites.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Glad I could help ;-)
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Sounds like it was a fun trip. Your pics were great!

A few questions.
Was there another hotel you would stay at in the area or would you recommend staying at STYC?
Also, were the beaches you found mostly sandy or do they require water booties?
If you wanted to find a secluded beach was that pretty easy or were there a lot of boats with people on the beach? I read somewhere that if you came upon someone at a beach you motored on in your whaler until you found a beach to yourself -- is that true?

Staniel Cay sounds like a great low-key place. We just returned from Vieques, PR and it definately falls into that category! (GREAT beaches, too!)
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi, glad you enjoyed the photo gallery...thanks! I highly recommend SCYC...it was affordable, amazingly beautiful, food was incredible, and the staff was awesome!

Beaches were all sandy that we visited..no booties necessary unless you go exploring. Finding a secluded beach was no problem at all...we had just about every beach to ourselves everytime. It is true that there are so many secluded islands that you can easily pick one for yourself while boating around...it is sooo fun!!

Vieques is on my list too! Did you get to the bioluminescent bay?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:25 AM

We did not make the bioluminescent tour. We were going on our last night but we were have big winds with rain and the surf was waaay up from the outskirts of Dennis. It was all stirred up and we would not have seen anything. We're heading back next year, though. Its a fun island.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Velodirt, thank you for your terrific photos and descriptions! We're considering SCYC just after New Year's, and I'm happy to trade Vieques advice as thanks for your SCYC recommendation.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi eaf2007, Thanks for the reply! I would love to hear any advice on Vieques...just post here or email me at the link provided on my website...thanks! Have a wonderful time at SCYC...if you decide to go!!