Questions about RIU Negril All inclusive resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!I believe that I have talked my husband into a family vacation in May to Negril.(keep your fingers crossed ) We need to be on a strict budget so I chose RIU all inclusive resort..that way we will know how much everything will cost.(of course we also want to try 3 Dives)

Does anyone know if this is a good family resort?

Are the rooms nice and service good?

Is it a good location to seven mile beach and other sites?

I will greatly appreciate any and all input on RIU and Negril from you helpful folks!

Christie
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM

I can't tell you about the resort but I can tell you that the beach is fantastic. Calm, clear water. Would be great for the kids.
We stay next door at Couples. They share the same beach.
Enjoy!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

dewars,
Thanks for your reply.The beach looks fanastic in the pictures.Maybe someone will chime in who stayed at RIU.

Christie
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM

No advice at the moment just wanted to say that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Don't forget to check out the non AI hotels, especially Idle Awhile, just in case you can persuade DH to visit just the 2 of you.

I get the impression that you are the more adventurous traveler
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM

christie: my parents have stayed there a couple of times and have enjoyed themselves.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Alya,
Yes I am the more adventurous traveler . If we go back just me and my husband..I would like to stay at IA or CCLP. But with the kids and my mom might go this time again I think they would enjoy RIU better.It looks like it is more family oriented.

Brett,
Thanks! Is it a good location..close to everything?

Christie
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:05 AM

Christie, that's great that you've talked your husband into trying Negril. With luck he'll enjoy it enough to go back with you for a more romantic trip. Hope that this trip en famille is better than your first trip to St. John!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:01 AM

I wouldn't consider it close to anything other than the other AI resorts. Most of the big AI resorts (Sandals, Beaches, Couples, Swept Away, RIU & Grand Lido) are all on a beach that lines Bloody Bay (they used to use the bay for killing whales back in the 1800's or earlier). It is a nice beach, but not nearly as nice as Negril Beach. You cannot access Negril Beach from Bloody Bay without portaging over Rutland Point at some access. I have not done this so I am not real sure. Anyway....to answer your question is it close to everything....not sure what you mean by "everything". Chances are if you are paying for an AI vacation, you most likely won't leave the compound other than a side trip or two to Margaritaville.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:43 AM

Christie,
as CS says you can't walk from the AI section of the beach to the main beach without walking along the road or getting very wet.

There is a store at the end of the main beach that sticks out into the sea and divides the main beach from the AIs.

We walked along the road from IA to the sports complex at Couples and it probably took 20 minutes - I'm not sure I'd want to do that with children. :-?

When we walked back to IA we walked through Country Country had lunch and walked along the beach. It's a beautiful beach.

CS???? Margaritaville? Yuk, they served me packet potatoes.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

I know….I know. I am a huge JB fan and we do like to stop in for an overpriced drink or two and maybe to catch a game on one of their TV’s. It seems so out of place in Negril. We do like the nachos as a change from the usual Jamaican fare, however. We seem to always end up talking to another couple or two who are there on a bus from one of the AI resorts. The last time this cute young couple, who had just been married, didn’t know that there were actually other places in Negril to stay than the AI resorts. We told them where we were staying and they were like “where?” “huh?”. They had no idea. Sometimes naivety can be so darn cute!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Emily,
Yes..I am hoping that we will enjoy it and want to go back to IA for a more romantic trip later.I think that my mom and the kids felt a little isolated at the villa in STJ so maybe RIU will keep everyone happy!

Brett,
We will probably explore Negril beach..I guess by taxi and probably do a Black River tour or something like that.Then we will probably relax at the Resort most of the time.By the way..my husband and I were pulling for the Seahawks in the superbowl..it would have been nice for them to win since they have never been to the Superbowl.

Thanks all for the information.Keep it coming!

Christie
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:11 AM

I would recommend checking into Riu Tropical Bay, which is also on Bloody Bay, but on a nicer area of beach. The two resorts are usually priced about the same. We spent a family vacation (11 of us, ages 11-70) there at Christmas 2004 and found it to be quite nice. The only negative comment we had is the small, very ordinary size and design of the rooms. The service, food, and location are great.

We always enjoy taking a taxi over to SMB for part of a day, but prefer staying on Bloody Bay. It is calmer, more isolated and safe feeling, even for small children.

We have been to Couples Negril, next door to Tropical Bay three times, so are familiar with the area. Negril is wonderful, and so is Couples. It is our favorite adult destination.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Happypappy,
Thanks for the information however, we have now changed plans to go to the Cayman Islands. I would love to go to Negril but my husband is skeptical about it.I thought that he was ready and after I started researching he changed his mind.I guess that I will have to go with a friend oneday.

Christie