punta cana to casa de campo cab

Aug 17th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

punta cana to casa de campo cab

Will visit in Sept. What do you recommend for transport from Punta Cana airport to Casa De Campo ? Cab ? Train ? Rental car ? Uber (if available) ? Thanks in advance.
Aug 17th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Take a car service - Prestige Limo gets high reviews (www.prestige-limousine-service.com) or, if you think you'll be driving around while at the resort you probably should rent a car. Other option consider flying into La Romana airport and then take a cab - it's only a 10 minute ride. I think Jet Blue flies there from US>
Aug 17th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Roams- I looked at Prestige, but I don't like the cancellation provisions. If cancellation necessary, you only get credit, but no refund. Even Casa De Campo has a better cancellation policy. Considering my advanced age, plus hurricane season, I think cancellation must be a consideration. I don't think we will need a car at Casa. However I have learned that Casa has a National Car rental shop on site. Perhaps I could rent a car at the airport, and turn it in at Casa. Do you know if it's a difficult drive ?
Aug 17th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Degree of difficulty of the drive depends on YOUR particular driving skills and how comfortable you are driving on unfamiliar roads in a foreign country. I wouldn’t have a problem but I know plenty of others who’d find the drive intimidating.

If cancellation policy bothers you make your arrangements through Casa de Campo. You’ll pay more for the same service (they use Prestige) but that’s the cost of having peace of mind - everything comes with a price.

I don’t mean to sound crass but if you can afford to stay at Casa de Campo you should be able to afford the upcharge for booking transportation through them.
Aug 17th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Roams- I am sorry we misunderstood one another. Sure, I found a special deal allowing me to visit Casa, a very expensive place. Prestige is also expensive; around $250-$300 for 4 people roundtrip. We will not likely ever be able to return considering our age. Respectfully, I can't or won't want to risk this. I'm happy for you to feel differently. My inquiry is to seek other possibilities. Nevertheless, thanks for your input.
Aug 18th, 2018, 09:47 AM

We stayed with friends in Casa de Campo a few years ago. My friends have a car service they regularly use, which took us to the Santo Domingo airport. For three people with a medium amount of luggage, it was only $100, plus tip.

$250-$300 for four people roundtrip from Punta Cana airport, a much shorter trip, sounds like a lot.

It's not cheaper to rent a car? You might want a car at Casa de Campo, it's a big place. Although we used a golf cart to the beach from our friend's home. We drove a car to visit Altos de Chavon, which is a cool place with sweeping views. We took a boat ride on the river, which also required we drive to the dock by car. We drove to the marina, as well. And we took the car to the polo grounds.

BTW, for our last dinner, we ate at the beachside restaurant at Casa. Every one of us went home with red bites developing on our legs. We assume they were from sand fleas or something at that beachside setting. My friend said that's not the first time it's happened there. Might depend on time of year.

I could ask my friend to recommend transport from Punta Cana to Casa, if you'd like.

Last edited by MoBro; Aug 18th, 2018 at 10:05 AM.
Aug 18th, 2018, 11:02 AM

PS. Roams, I think that was an inappropriate comment re: the OP's budget. You have no idea.
Aug 18th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Yes Mc Bro, please ask anyone that knows about transportation. I think Roams was trying to be helpful, and perhaps I read a bit too much into the response. I didn't mean to make any issue on here.
Aug 18th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Sorry, wasn’t trying to offend - my point was that Casa de Campo is one of the most expensive resorts in the Caribbean and jeterray was concerned about the price DIFFERENTIAL between booking with Prestige directly at a lower cost (he/she didn’t say how much) with a non- cancellation clause vs. booking though the resort (who also uses Prestige) with a better cancellation policy at a higher price. I was attempting to say the price differential would wouldn’t be very much (especially when spread between 4 people) in compared to the total cost of staying at the resort.

It’s about an hour’s drive from Punta Cana to Casa de Campo which means the car and driver will be “engaged” for a bit over 2 hours to make the round trip. The actual price of $250 to $300 for 4 people for what will be at least a 2 to 2.5 hour run in a limo sounds pretty reasonable - that comes out to only between $62.50 to $75 per person. A person can easily spend that for lunch at the resort.
Aug 19th, 2018, 08:31 AM

"One of the most expensive resorts in the Caribbean"??
Compared to St John and St Kitts and St Lucia and Aruba and Anguilla and Bermuda and the Caymans and . . ..?

$75 for lunch per person?? I'm sure that's a ridiculously high amount that you can spend, if you're stupid in any location.

The OP is smart not to lock into a non-cancellation contract.

jeterray, your response was perfectly in line.

I have sent an email to my friend for info, and will let you know what he says. But, it could be that he uses a private car service and gets a particularly low rate, as he has a business there and entertains clients, as well.

Check out Everett Designs, in Altos de Chavon. He makes a lot of pieces using Larimar, a stone discovered in the Dominican Republic. Larimar Collection - Everett Designs

Last edited by MoBro; Aug 19th, 2018 at 08:39 AM.
Aug 20th, 2018, 07:19 AM

This is what my friend said:
https://www.prestige-limousine-servi...ice-la-romana/
"These guys are the best. Tom Duffield, a good friend owns it . You can get a Suburban SUV or less expensive
Hyundai van."

If you use Prestige, tell them Everett Designs recommended them.
Aug 20th, 2018, 10:52 AM

While it's a slightly shorter drive to Punta Cana Airport from Casa de Campo than from Santo Domingo Airport, it's usually more expensive because more drivers are based in Santo Domingo than in Punta Cana, and most of the drivers that serve Casa are based there in La Romana. $125 each way sounds like a very good deal for a private car service, but I realize that Prestige is the company you didn't want to book in the first place because of the cancellation policy.

What you need (in light of your age and weather concerns) is insurance in case you need to cancel your trip. That's what you get when parts of your trip can't be cancelled without penalty. It also won't be cheap but will help allay your budget concerns about the cost of cancellation, and paying 10% to 15% of the total cost of the trip is a good investment if it's an expensive vacation. Just make sure that the insurance will actually cover you for the issues that concern you.
Sep 4th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

It's time to depart for Punta Cana, with no hurricane in sight. Per recommendations, we booked Prestige for transport from airport. Thanks again everyone. FIW- Travel Zoo has some great deals for anyone who's concerned about cost per Roams.