Puerto Rico Geographical Advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Puerto Rico for 13 nights. Would like to stay in three or four locations, and take daytrips to other sites. Would appreciate suggestions as to where to stay. Will be arriving at and departing from San Juan. Like the city, but also the beach, and are open to all adventures. Would also like to know about hotels in suggested locales. Am looking for 4-5 stars, but am flexible.

thanks in advance. Florence
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 05:23 AM

While I like the idea of spending time in different places, I'd limit myself to no more than 4 different hotels. The traveling will be a drag.

I'd certainly spend at least 3 nights in San Juan (perhaps 2 on arrival and another before departure).

Spend 3 or 4 nights in either Culebra or Vieques (many good hotel selections there, but few 4 or 5 stars). Spend 3 nights in Rincon or that area (the Horned Dorset is the most expensive hotel in Puerto Rico, but there are others).

Then you could do your last 3-night stay in one of the north coast beach resorts or on the south coast. Copamarina Beach Resort is nice, as is the Wyndham Rio Mar or El Conquistador.

There are hotels in Ponce if you want to get an off-the-beach experience (the Hilton there is nice, or you could stay near Guanica at Mary Lee's by the Sea (modest but very nice).

Obviously, vary the order based on the most useful itinerary you can pull together. These are just a few suggestions that will give you a taste of different places on the island.

There's also an interesting B&B in El Yunque, or Casa Grande Mountain Retreat in Utuado is a completely different kind of experience. Parador Hacienda Gripinas is also nice and in the mountains.

If you really want to see a wide range of places, don't limit yourself to 4- and 5-star hotels because they are few and far between once you leave San Juan.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 07:25 AM

I agree w/Doug & his suggestions are good ones. I would also fit in a few nights IN the rain forest if possible. Those places are no where near 4 stars but well worth the 'suffering'. I see no real reason stay in Ponce but it may well be worth a drive thru. Here are some other options - http://www.gotoparadores.com/, http://www.elyunquehotels.com/11.html, http://www.rainforestinn.com/index.html, www.casacubuy.com
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM

San Paris2 and Doug,

Your info is great!

I am only going for 5 nights (Dec 27- Jan 1) and was planning to stay at the Conrad (we have Hilton points..but, how is it??)for 3 nights and then the San Juan Water & Beach club for 2 nights, but, after reading about the smaller hotels/b&b in Vieques/Casacubay (I love the elyunque hotel casita zumbitor but my very tall boyfriend needs a king)...I am reconsidering the San Juan Water club.

If you have any of these paradores that you think are a must have for a relaxing and romantic two days, please let me know.

Also, do we need a rental car to get to the rain forest?
If we only went to Vieques, would we need a rental car? If you had to choose between Vieques and the rain forest, what would you do?

Thank you so much!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM

I have stayed at the Conrad Condado Plaza and I loved it. The waterclub Boutique Hotel is also very nice located in Isla Verde. This location is neat if you enjoy dancing and clubbing. As far as the rainforest, definetely i would choose the rainforest. Vieques is also beautiful, don't get me wrong, but the rainforest is something you must see.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Many of the hotels in San Juan can hook you up w/excursions to the rainforest. However, Casa Cubuy & the Flamboyant are on teh other side, so you would need a car. I would probably save Vieques for when you would have more time. In addition, I wouldn't risk trying to get back to San Juan from Vieques the same day i was flying out, just as a precaution. All puddle jumpers in the Caribbean, tend to run on their own schedules.