Puerto Rico - Honeymoon

Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Puerto Rico - Honeymoon

A friend of mine and her husband-to-be are looking to spend their honeymoon in Puerto Rico. They are planning a 10 night stay but are willing to spend half their time at one resort and the 2nd half of their time at another. They want to go "all out" and have an "extravagant" time. They are looking for good advice & tips on where to stay, what restaurants to go to, daytime activities, and information about nightlife (they're in their mid-to-late 20's). They also want to know how safe it is outside of the resorts and how traveling is between the hotels and airport. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

I'd split my time between Vieques & The Horned Dorset. There are many PR posts on here, take a look.

Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM

Do you know what their preferences are in terms of staying in San Juan versus other areas of Puerto Rico? Do they want a lot of restaurant choices and nightlife or are they looking for more seclusion and quiet? Hard to give advice without having more information.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM

With ten nights in Puerto Rico, I would do something similar to the previous poster's suggestion. I would spend my first night in Old San Juan at El Convento. Then head over to the west coast and stay at the Horned Dorset for 3 nights, then drive all of the way over to the east coast to Fajardo to catch the ferry to Vieques, where I would spend 5 nights at Inn on the Blue Horizon or Hacienda Tamarindo or maybe a posh villa, and then back to Old San Juan for the last night to better catch my flight back to the mainland the next morning.

Beginning and ending in Old San Juan is a great way to ease in and out of the vacation mindset. It's still very much tropical and laid-back, but a slightly faster pace than the rest of the island.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

They said that their preference would be to stay at some place quiet and secluded for the first half, and have a little bit more of an upbeat, partying second half of the trip. Sorry for not being so detailed before!

Thanks for all of your advice. EJ - great suggestions, I'll be sure to hand your information on over to them.

Anymore advice and tips are welcome!
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM

Regarding the second half of the trip, they might want to consider staying at either the Ritz Carlton or El San Juan in Isla Verde. El San Juan is great for nightlife. Ritz Carlton is quieter but is right down the street from El San Juan - within walking distance.

Also, Old San Juan is a reasonably close cab ride from Isla Verde.

Another option in the San Juan area is Condado - the three hotels they may want to look at are the Renaissance, the Marriott and the Condado Plaza. COndado is even closer to Old San Juan than Isla Verde.
Jul 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I can help out on the south side of the island. The best places to stay are at MaryLee's By The Sea and the Copamarina - both in Guanica. There are very nice beaches on this side of the island, too. MaryLee's is really quaint and cozy, with little individual, tropically decorated apartments. The website is the name. The Copamarina has more luxury and more expensive - maybe more suited for a honeymoon. Website is the name as well. There is also the Hilton Resort in Ponce. Has a nice pool, but the beach is terrible.

A good activity for your friends would be to go to the Island of Caja De Muertos off of the city of Ponce on a snorkeling trip. They could go for a guided snorkeling tour with a new company (first of it's kind in Ponce!) called Caribbean Images Tours, LLC. Very professional and fun crew. Their boat only takes small groups so it's like having your own private trip. Their number is 787-244-6283 or 787-821-5312.

Traveling is safe outside of resorts on the south side and between the hotels and airports. There is probably more nighlife in San Juan in general then the southside of the island.