Prevention for sickness before it happens?

Mar 26th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Laurie

Prevention for sickness before it happens?

Has anyone ever tried this? I spoke to a couple who start to take Imodian and a stomach antacid a day or two before a trip and continue throughout the week to prevent them from getting sick. Has anyone ever tried this and can you tell me what you took? We're heading to the Dominican in 2 weeks and want to prevent being sick if at all possible.

Mar 26th, 2002, 04:02 PM
doctor

You might wind up so stopped up you'll be sick another way!

Mar 26th, 2002, 05:36 PM
ryan

Did this couple consider that maybe they wouldn't have gotten sick in the first place and they are assuming it was prevented by their routine?

If they are that cautious, they probably avoid the foods/beverages that would make them sick. I would suggest you try that more conventional method.

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Lara

CDC mentions studies that show large doses of Pepto Bismol being able to prevent travelers' diarrhea:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diarrhea.htm

Mar 27th, 2002, 06:02 AM
debbie

hi there, we took a vitamin that puts good bacteria in your digestive tract called Probiotica. It is made by Imodium and we just returned from the Dominican and ate everything and had no problems.

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Laurie

Thanks for advice. We've been away ourselves many times and have not gotten sick. I just wondered if there was any preventative measures that could help.
I also had heard of eating yogurt every day before we leave (which isn't difficult for us to do) because this too, puts the 'good' bacteria in your stomach and 'toughen you up'
Anybody ever hear of that one?

Mar 28th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Parrot Mom

As a precaution I take an Imodium every a.m. while traveling, have never heard of Probiotica, but it sounds like a good idea. Also, if you stay away from coconut based drinks or at least limit yourself you should have no problems. Too much of the great tropical fruit can do it too. We have spent the last three winter vacations in the D.R. too

Mar 28th, 2002, 05:06 AM
CruzanConfusion

Probiotica is a capusilized form of the same beneficial bacterias found normally in the intestinal tract, also found in yogurt. I'ts not a bad to take it on a regular basis. I'd not recommend taking Immodium unless needed (could cause other problems), but be sure to have some with you.

Here's one you won't see mentioned often, but it works like a charm: I always have a few pieces of crystallized ginger (available in grocery store baking sections and in lots of food co-ops/health food stores). It is more effective for most people than Dramamine for motion sickness and also will almost instantly soothe an upset stomach (mother was right when she used to give you flat ginger ale!).

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM
NoYogurt

I tried the yogurt everyday for a week thing and it did not work for me. I got sick anyway.