Search

FDR-Pebbles info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Mark

FDR-Pebbles info

One month until we go to Pebbles. I've read many posts going back to 8/00 about "start up" problems: lousy food, bug bites in rooms, leaky roofs. This is supposed to be a 4-star place, and these problems (esp food) seems easily fixable. The original FDR has a good reputation (esp for those with kids like us), and you'd think Pebbles mgmt would be on top of start-up issues ASAP. Does anyone have the scoop on this? Is there hope for decent food? Are certain problems at this property insurmountable? Our trip is booked for mid-Feb 2001 and we're going anyway, so I want to figure out how to make the vacation as enjoyable as possible. Advice?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:59 AM
MK

One month until we head off with our two young children. I too have heard mixed reviews - one year later.<BR>How was the trip? Were the problems remedied by the time you arrived? <BR>Did you have an oceanfront or oceanview room and what would you suggest?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Don

also curious about Pebbles. Sounds good on its website but none of the travel guides review it -- too new, I guess. Urgently need advice on how it's working out.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 03:54 AM
ken

Try this link<BR>http://caribtravelnews.com/c1000_01.htm#jamken

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 02:59 PM
mark

ken...that trip report is from july 2000 when Pebbles was open only a few months. Our visit in Feb 2001 was very enjoyable. Food was fine, nanny was excellent, room quite nice, staff and service outstanding. It seemed like they tried extra hard...quick to fix drinks, plenty of beach towels,etc. I loved the bicycle rides through Falmouth and thru the "backcountry". No complaints.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 04:40 PM
john

Mark, would you be willing to share more details of your trip. My wife & I are considering FDR/FDR Pebbles to take our 2 children (3 & 1 yo) to in May or June. Love to get some more info on the resort and specifically the nannies.<BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:58 AM
MK

John-<BR><BR>Just returned 3/25. We had a great time. Go - you will not be disappointed.<BR><BR>Our nanny was very sweet, gentle - our children (5 and 2) really hit it off with her. My husband and I were able to enjoy an early morning mountain bike ride and snorkling while the children fed goats (for the umpteenth time!), tie dyed. <BR><BR>Plenty of children - lots of fun activites -<BR><BR>Food was terrific, staff attentive and always pleasant.<BR><BR>Grounds well maintained and far more lush than website & brochure depicts. The setting is very tropical and the layout of the resort lends itself to a small village "vibe". <BR><BR>Several families we met were on their second visit to Pebbles. Nearly all the employees I spoke with had been with FDR since the place opened in March 2000. <BR><BR>A few quick tips:<BR><BR>Request/reserve and oceanfront, corner room - its worth every dime. We were in block 7 - to the far east of the pool.<BR><BR>Bring bug repellent and loads of sunscreen (more than you think you'll ever need in this lifetime).<BR><BR>Purchase a cheap pack of T-shirts at home for Tie-dye. <BR><BR>Book your massage time and hair braiding appointment(if you are so inclined)your first day (for a choice day/time) - the salon is jumpin'

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Amie

Glad to hear a good review on this property. I must say, it is the first one I've seen. FDR Runaway Bay - YES! <BR>always good reviews but Pebbles?? Hope they keep it together now.