Powerboat Adventures and Kid activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have two girls ages 10 and 8 and we will be staying at the Atlantis in July. I am looking for some other things to do besides the resort and was wondering if anyone had done the Powerboat Adventure. Is it worth the almost $600 for the day? Is it scary for kids? Can they get bitten by one of the iguanas? Is there a difference between the powerboat adventure and the island world adventure tour?

Also, is there anything to do in Nassau? We have heard of the pirate museum, but not sure if this is a complete ripoff or not. Have been to other "pirate caves" and it was like walking through someone's back yard. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:34 AM

ACtually the Pirate Museum was quite well done with some interesting exhibits. I think they would also love the Ardastra Zoo and Gardens, and bring quarters to feed the geese, ducks and peacocks. The zoo is good size with some interesting animlas and the Flamingo March is fun to see.

Bring TONS of sunscreen, the Bahamas will be HOT and the sun is very strong in July.

YOu also might enjoy a day trip over to Harbour Island on the Fast Ferry the BoHengy, it's a very quaint island and all the homes date back to 200 years.

Have a GREAT time.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Our boys, 7 and 9, enjoyed the pirate museum. We walked through the market stalls in Nassau and didn't stop to buy anything. Your girls, on the other hand, might be more interested in shopping than my boys are.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:18 AM

We did the powerboat adventure several years ago when our kids were 7 and 11. Our whole family loved it - I think it's one of the most memorable days we've had from any of our family vacations. Of course, we are big animal lovers.

The iguanas were not scary at all. You hold out grapes on a stick and they come eat it. My 7 year old loved the ray which came up and rubbed against you while standing in the water. Cool. The only part that was a little scary was the drift snorkel - the current was a bit much.

Can't say what it's worth to you. When we went it also included a fresh fish lunch and hike on a private island with a great view (our kids didn't join us for the hike.) I think it cost less 6 years ago. However, I think you can save a little by booking online in advance.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:18 AM

I agree with all the posters and love the Bahamas. I've done both Powerboat Adventures and Island World. They are similar but if you've never done one before I'd choose Powerboat. They both go to the iguana island; Powerboat does it on the way to the main island while Island World does it at the end of the day on the way back. Both have good lunches, but Powerboat had a greater variety of food, especially for kids. The shark and ray feeding at Powerboat is right in front of you 2 feet off the beach while at Island World you throw your lunch scraps over a small cliff to the fish below.
You will probably be pretty busy at Atlantis. Between the water slides, the Dig, the aquariums, lazy river, etc. there's a lot to do. The zoo is pretty nice, and easy to get to, and the Pirate Museum is not a total rip-off- actually kinda fun.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!