Port St. Maarten

Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Port St. Maarten

We are going to be in St. Maarten as a stop on a cruise ship. We are trying to fiqure out approximately how much (in US$) by cab it would be to go from the port to Orient Beach and From Orient Beach to Maho Beach. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Anthony
Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM

I can't help you with cab fares on SXM but if you don't get a response on this forum try posing your question on the SXM Forum at www.traveltalkonline.com It's a very active forum with a great many SXM experts.
Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM

Just took a cab to Orient. They actually run minivans, so it depends on the # of people. We had 2 and it was $8 ea plus tip. Suggest Bikini Beach at Orient, the beach side bar has great food!
Sep 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.
Sep 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM

The official charge for a cab from the cruise terminal to Bikini Beach (my local 'pub') on Orient Bay is $18.

From there to Maho will be $30, and from Maho to the cruise terminal will be a further $18.

All the above are exclusive of tips.

Your best bet probably is to try to do a deal with the taxi Despatcher, and get the cab and driver for the day.

If you are going to be here between now and the start of 'the season' on November 30th, you should find a means of negotiating.

A large proportion of the taxis ARE people carriers (overgrown mini vans) all in good condition and you should have no problem if you are only two people - they will still be happy to take you.

Bikini Beach is only partially operational in the 'close season', however the food is still good, and the beach facilities, boutique and the water sports section are all fully functional.
Sep 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information David. Half the group wants to see Orient Beach and the others want to see the Sunset Beach bar. We arrive at 8 AM, ship sails at 5 PM, just wanted to make sure we got to both sides of the island.
Sep 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM

I suggest that you head for Orient Bay first, as there aren't too many big airplanes landing early in the morning - and that, during the day, is what the Sunset Beach Bar is all about.

I don't know how long you want to spend 'plane spotting' but, for me, it gets rather boring after a while !

Personally I only visit the Sunset Beach Bar when I am meeting someone off a flight. I wait until I see the plane touch down and, provided it stops before it runs out of runway, I then drive round to the terminal to meet my friends !

If the pilot doesn't make it I won't waste time going to the terminal, and just return to the 'civilized' side of the island as quickly as possible.

Fortunately, so far, they have always landed OK when I have been there - but you never know !!
Sep 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all of the information that you have given me. The plan is to go to Orient Beach first and work your way back to the port. I will make it a point to stop in the Bikini Bar.
Sep 8th, 2009, 06:09 PM

Have a good visit to the island.
Sep 9th, 2009, 05:08 AM

A taxi is probably the most expensive option for you, particularly if you are traveling in a group. It will be cheaper and probably easier to rent a car for the day. Cars in St. Maarten are pretty cheap and widely available. Traffic can be a problem (particularly parking at Marigot). But it's still the best option to see both sides of the island. Driving on the island is simple. There's basically one road around the island. It's a little confusing to drive back into Phillipsburg, but not that trying. You're always driving on the right, American-style.
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Doug, I appreciate the information. The way we understand it is that it is $18.00 for the group, not per person. If that is not true, please let me know.
Thanks
Tony
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Firstly, how many will be in your group ? If it is more than 6 (at most) you will need more than one rental car I assume.

I really don't agree with Doug. You will waste time completing the paperwork checking out and checking in a rental car, and you will not be on the island that long anyway.

As he says, there really is only one road round the island, so it's hard to get lost, but the potholes in the Maho area will slow you down ! The taxi drivers and people who live here know exactly where each one is, so we get around a bit quicker than the visitors in rental cars !

The cost of the cab increases if there are more people in your group, but it is obviously divisible between the numbers in your party. That means that if you are just 2 persons two of the segments will cost you $9 each, and the longer one will cost $15 each. If there are more of you the price per person works out a bit cheaper.

I hope these comments help.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

There will be 6 in our group. A rental car won't come into play in our group, cabs are cheaper than DUI or worse. Yes David, youre commets have helped out greatly!! St. Croix is also on the cruise, any thoughts?
Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM

Sorry. I can't help you regarding St Croix as I have never been there.

I think that a taxi on SXM is definitely your best bet. You should perhaps try to negotiate a 'full day' deal with the Despatcher.

With the cost split 6 ways it should be pretty bearable and, as a big plus, the taxi will always be there ready to go when you chose to move on. That alone will save you time hanging about, as normally the cab has to be called for, as they do not just wait in line - except at the cruise port and a few other places on the island.

Have fun !
Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Very helpfull information. Again Thanks! 17 days to embarcation. can't wait.