Pompano/Sonesta with teen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, this is my first time posting so I hope I get this right.
I will be celebrating my 25th wedding annv. I am having a hard time choosing a hotel in Bermuda.
We will be bringing our 17 year old with us so we need a friendly place, with a separate sleeping area for her and good plain food choices. Along with a good beach, pool and view.
Now for the questions:
In our price range we have come up with two places that might work.
Pompano and Sonesta
Pompano has a lovely suite with separate bedroom for us and a living room where she can have the sofa bed and TV. 1 bath 1 tv. We do not know the room size or if the food will be plain enough for her but because of all the positive reviews on this place we thought it may be a good choice.
We are very simple people and will enjoy snorkeling, swimming and renting scooters . Maybe some entertainment at night.

The Sonesta with the special stay 3 nights get one night free plan would cost the same but we could get connecting rooms. They seem to have more food choices for us all and since it's a little larger with more planned activities it maybe better for us.
The only problem are the reviews! I'm a little worried. We think 2 bathrooms, 2 TVs and her own bed would be great but their is not a bad word said about Pompano and the beach sure looks great. I'd hate to give that up!
Since it's in Sept most of the kids and teens will be back in school so it may not be as crowded.
Any words of advice would be very helpful.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:10 AM

The Sonesta is a dump, but has great beaches. We stayed there twice because of the room rates, but we weren't thrilled with the rooms (a bit worn around the edges). Haven't been to Pompano, although we've heard good things about it. You should be aware that Pompano has some steep stairs to climb from the beach. The Sonesta has several decent restaurants to pick from, but (except for the convenience of having breakfast at the hotel, for which you can get a breakfast-only plan) you'd be better of going to off-premises restaurants, at least for your dinners -- Bermuda has many good places to eat in varying price ranges.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 06:13 AM

Go with Pompano...beautiful views next to Port Royal Golf Course...and many happy repeat customers. Pompany also has a dine-around plan with Stonington, The Reefs, and Cambridge Beaches.

Until the Sonesta is renovated I'd definitely pass on it. Friends of my daughter's recently stayed there and didn't like it. Plus they said the restaurants on site were very expensive. Prices were higher than what we paid for food at the Hamilton Princess. They said next time they go to Bermuda they'll stay next door at The Reefs.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. Sonesta did say they didn't know if the new owners would still be offering the stay 3 nights get 1 free plan. I need 2 rooms so without it the cost would be more then Pompano and with wording like a "dump" it's a little worring. Plus they don't offer MAP you have to buy coupons.
Pompano has been wonderful answering all my email, they even faxed us a menu so it looks like I'm leaning towards them. Oh and thanks for the warning about the steps to the beach. I do have bad knees so I emailed to ask, they explained the way it was laid out and I'm sure it will be fine.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:01 AM

We just returned from Bermuda last week. We stayed at Pompano with our 3 children ages 17, 13 and 11, as well as their grandmother. All agreed that Pompano was ideal. The staff is very friendly, the views are beautiful and the beach was great for all of the kids. We have one very fussy eater and found the food to be fine. There was plenty to do at the resort and we were able to use the ferry and the buses with no problem at all to go to Hamilton, the Dockyards and St George. The room size worked great - we had 2 rooms and felt there was plenty of room. If you'e in Porpoise Perch, request the second floor, the view is spectacular.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Nugget,
That's great about the room. You had 3 kids in the living room and didn't kill yourself on their stuff? Wow how do I get my 1 teen to keep the floor clean?
The 2nd floor is what we asked for so I hope it's available. Everyone has been very helpful both here and on Bermudashorts forum so I guess it's the Pompano for us!! Finally a decision.
Thanks again
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Sorry - should have been clearer - we had 2 rooms (suites) for 6 people - 3 to a room. Never could have done it with all of us in one. Although there is a larger room in Upper Snapper - there was a family of 5 staying there during our time in Bermuda. Have a great time!