Hotel in Hamilton (Bermuda)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Waterloo House lately? It looks lovely on the website, but recent reviews on Tripadvisor.com are dreadful. My husband and I are looking for a small hotel in Hamilton, with British ambience, ideally on the water. He has a bit of trouble with stairs, so easy access is preferred. We'd welcome recommendations!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Hopefully cmcfong will see this. She is a big Bermuda traveler.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Sorry, I have been in Canada (loved it!)and just saw this post. I stayed at Waterloo in a king room in December 2005. I posted a review on trip advisor. It is a very charming property, old and filled with antiques. The food is wonderful. My room was very clean, well maintained and in quite good condition. I loved the easy access to town and the afternoons sitting on the harbor side of the hotel enjoying tea. I would talk to the manager about your concerns with stairs as there are many on the property and I frankly cannot think of a room which would not require you use a stairway to reach the dining room. I loved the Waterloo but it is not for everyone. Definitely a unique property and very Brit. Enjoy Bermuda, it is another world.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, cmcfong! I'll take your advice and talk to the manager at Waterloo House about access: Luckily my husband can manage some stairs. Have you stayed at Rosedon? How does it compare? As you can see, we prefer small hotels over sprawling resorts. We usually have to stay in those when we travel for business--not that I'm complaining!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Rosedon is just across the street from Waterloo. The main house is a gorgeous old place, but most of the best rooms are in the back in new additions. They do have some first floor rooms which would be fairly modern (certainly as compared to the Waterloo) and handicapped accessible. I have not stayed there in a few years but I did love it when I did. They have a nice pool (Waterloo's is very small and not terribly appealing), beautiful gardens, and the location is every bit as good as Waterloo. I think it would work quite well for you. When I stayed there they had exchange privileges at Elbow Beach, not as nice and as private as Coral Beach, with which Waterloo has privileges, but certainly one of the best beaches in Bermuda. Elbow has better accessibility, I think.