Point Grace Restaurant "not happy"

Jul 4th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Point Grace Restaurant "not happy"

Hello,
Just came home from our second trip to Turks.
We love the island. The first visit was two years ago for our 10th anniversary. We stayed at Point Grace and loved it alot. We ate at the restaurant a few times and was absolutely impressed. This time to the island we stayed at Turks and Caicos Club. We decided to eat at Grace Bay Cottage at Point Grace to celebrate our anniversary. I made reservations earlier that day and was told the dress code for men was long pants and collared shirt. We had no problem with this seeing the restaurant is pretty fancy.
When we got there we noticed a family came in just after us with a couple of kids who were dressed very casual (teens). Then all of a sudden a huge group of very loud annoying and drunk people came in. The men had really short shorts on and tee's. They were very under dressed and loud. We sat there and tried to enjoy dinner but the people were so loud we couldn't even chat between us. Not too mention my husband was really hot and bothered because he was dressed to "code". We spent just about $300 CDN that night for a dinner which consisted of two appetizers, two entrees and 1 desert. We drank bottled water. Not cheap and if the atmosphere had been better we would not have thought twice about it. We are just really annoyed that if you are going to lay down any sort of rules..everyone should have to follow. Even if this group was staying at the hotel they should have had the same rules we had. When we stayed at Point Grace two years ago we always dressed to code for dinner. Anyhow, it didn't help that the staff was not very personalble. They didn't even talk to us. At least ask how our vacation is going. We would have loved to share that we renewed our wedding vows there two years ago. But nobody really made any efforts to talk to us. Oh well....And not too mention they don't respond to any emails or phone calls. Their posh resort won't last if the service is like this. I mean it's a nice place but not perfect by no means our kitchen was totally infested with ants..not a few either. well...we are returning to Turks in Oct or Nov...and will not even consider Point Grace because of this.
take care
Luisa
www.urastar.ca
Jul 5th, 2004, 07:29 AM

I really hate hearing that especially since we will be staying there for the winter holiday this coming year.
Jul 6th, 2004, 02:07 PM

We went to Graces Cottage shortly after it first opened. Was rather underwhelmed. Nice setting but out side the gates to Point Grace. It was expensive and we didn't feel the food lived up to the price. Much better restaurants to eat at on Provo. They didn't even have the capability to process a credit card at the restaurant and the hostess had to go to the Point Grace front desk which took forever. When I got home and looked at my statement they double billed me. This past April a couple from Coral Gardens went there to dinner. They were not that impressed and after ordering decided to leave so had the meal boxed and took it back to Coral Gardens to eat on their balcony.
Jul 7th, 2004, 05:56 AM

vkb2: I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. You have to read reviews carefully to find out the real problem and, in some cases, it's just that people didn't get the attention they feel they deserved. Enjoy.
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:22 AM

I think its always a risk you run at any restaurant, that a large group will be eating in your vicinity. There is almost no way for a large group to be quiet, and if you're looking for an intimate dinner for two, its pretty much guaranteed to interfere.

We enjoy both casual and formal dining, and part of the attraction of formal dining is the atmosphere generated by everyone being dressed nicely. I can understand the problem you had with the situation. If you're going to advertise a more formal atmosphere, you have to be willing to turn people away to maintain it.

And vkb2 I wouldn't worry about issues with the restaurant at the resort you're staying at. There are plenty of restaurants on the island to try. A sunset dinner at Magnolias overlooking Turtle Cove was my favorite last time. We have lots of other places we want to try next time. We usually reserve the local restaurant at the resort for those evenings when we just don't feel like traveling. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Ken
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:16 AM

We stayed at Point Grace a few years ago when the restaurant was first open. While we loved the resort, we were rather underwhelmed by lunch on the first day and heard so many bad comments from other guests about the restaurant that we never did have dinner there. I understand it has improved some but still exorbitantly priced with an underwhelming setting. For the person going to Pt. Grace soon -- don't worry, there are tons of nearby options for lunch and dinner, most of which you can walk to. We liked walking down the beach to Hemingway's (next door at the Sands) for lunch and Bay Bistro (just past the Sands at Sibonne) for dinner. Also walked down to Anacoana at Grace Bay Club, wonderful setting. Took a cab to Coco Bistro. Our best meal was at Coyaba at Coral Gardens and from what I hear, it still is getting great reviews. Bring a flashlight to walk the beach at night.
Jul 8th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

vkb2 Not to worry the resort is beautiful. When we stayed there in 2002 it was under different management and the service was superb and the restaurant was amazing. The room however was infested with tons of ants and when you are paying such high rates you shouldn't have to deal with that.

Senga when I'm spending $300 CDN for what we got I better get attention and lots of it. That's what the staff doesn't understand. I'm spending a ton and I want to feel comfortable and be spoken to. I also want the same rules for everyone.

Ken..I understand a large group will be loud spoken but not like these people were. Drunk, loud and annoying. But as long as the drinks kept coming the restaurant wasn't complaining and not worrying about our little dinner.

We went to Anacona in 2002 it was really nice. This time we went to Coyaba at Coral Gardens the food was really good. Simba at our hotel was great food not bad prices but the service wasn't good at all. The girl working there needs proper training. We also went to a Regatta on the beach one night and ate island food...ribs..fried fish and conch fritters and it was under $20 bucks. We also ate at Hey Jose for a cheaper meal it was Mexican food in a bar like atmosphere but it comes back at ya the next day..hehe!!!

I'd love to try the Coco Bistro next time. Has anyone been and what's it like?

I love the island and would love to live there one day soon!!!!

take care
Luisa
www.urastar.ca
Jul 9th, 2004, 03:31 AM

Hi Luisa,

Large groups tend to be noisy under the best conditions... large drunk groups are just orders of magnitude worse. If it were a larger place (never been there, but I suspect its small) I would ask to have my table changed to be further away. Sounds like the restaurant does not protect their atmosphere and it would be a risky place for a quiet dinner. Good to know.

We ate at the Coco Bistro, since we were staying at the RWI and it was just down the road. It was my wife's favorite place (mine was Magnolia's). The food was good, the service was OK, I think the waitress we had was new to the job. My only concern with this place is the locale. Its is outdoors in a palm grove, which is romantic and beautiful, but if you're there during a time when mosquitos are prevalent, I would think it would be a problem. We had a minor problem with flies at dusk, but we saw that everwhere for a short while right at sunset.

If there are no mosquitos around (we saw almost none in May) then I would definately recommend Coco Bistro. If there are mosquitos around, then I would at least make sure I had sufficient repellent on. Although I recall reading one trip report where they reported that the restaurant provided spray repellent. The last thing I want is for someone to be spraying insect repellent around my dinner! So while the food was very good, I would have to only conditionally recommend the restaurant. If you haven't seen any mosquitos around, then by all means go.

We're returning to TCI in November, and I know my wife is going to want to return to Coco Bistro. Here's hoping we're outside the bug season again.

Ken

Search this Thread