Point Grace or Parrot-Cay????

Sep 13th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Dawn

Point Grace or Parrot-Cay????

Hi there!! Planning a get away this Thanksgiving with my husband and my sister and her husband - was very serious about Parrot-Cay but Point Grace looks just beautiful - was wondering if anyone has been to these places and could offer any input to help me decide - do not think either would be a bad choice!! Thanks very much!!!

Sep 14th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Lara

Have not been to either, but I am going to PG in December.

PG is a glorified condo complex, whereas PC is a full-featured resort. For instance, PG does not have a restaurant onsite.

It really depends what activities you are looking for and how isolated you want to be--PC is on its own island, as you know whereas PG is on the main Grace Bay beach on Provo.

Sep 14th, 2000, 02:24 PM
Dawn

Dear Lara,

Many thanks for your response - I will have to send you a follow-up from our trip this November - I think we are looking more for a resort type of place so I guess PC would better fit our bill - PG looks beautiful from their web site and the suites look beautiful - very luxurious!!!! May I ask what made you decide on PG??

Sep 14th, 2000, 02:59 PM
Anne

Isn't Parrot Cay all inclusive on its own private island. i have emailed them 2times and have never received a response. It looks wonderful on its web site.
One of the differences between these hotels is Point Grace is in Provo and you have more choices for meals etc.We went to Grace Bay 4years ago and thought it was beautiful.
Please let us know how you enjoyed PC
Not that it matters but Jerry Seinfeld had his honeymoon at Parrot Cay.It appears that it is very private!Enjoy!

Sep 15th, 2000, 05:58 AM
lara

Dawn:

We decided on PG because for early Dec. we got a great deal we could not pass up! We have not stayed in a non-resort complex before, so this is a first for us!

Please let me know how you enjoyed Parrot Cay.

--Lara

Sep 15th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Dawn

Dear Lara and Anne,

I will keep you both posted on how we liked Parrot-Cay or if we decide to switch to Point Grace - Anne I do think the PC website is great but they do need to respond back to requests that people write in via emails - I had the same problem that you did. I am sure both places are just beautiful - how can you go wrong with the incredible beaches - just have to hope for good weather - I will keep you guys posted - and if anyone else has been to either of these places please let us know your feedback. Thanks!

Sep 15th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Penny

Dawn-Have a great trip! Look forward to your report. Wishing you fantastic weather!!!!!!

Sep 15th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Karen

Have you seen the pix @ www.bestresorts.com/parrotcay.HTM? I thought Parrot Cay looked absolutely wonderful and it was a hard decision for me as well! But we wound up a Meridian Club, which really was informal and wonderful. Didn't have the opportunity to check out Parrot Cay altho I really wanted to other than just by "drive by." Provo is growing by leaps and bounds and my experience there was a few years back - I would definately choose the "pampering and resort" experience over the self-catering units. Not a true all-inclusive but no options for "dining out" but I was not too thrilled with the dining option on Provo other than Anaconda and another place that I remember being across the street ... outside, a wonderful little cafe atmosphere! I am sure either will satisfy but will give a very different experience - the spa services at Parrot Cay sound wonderful and those beachfront rooms look spectacular!

Sep 15th, 2000, 09:24 PM
Emmy

Hi Dawn,

My family and I visited Point Grace in July and absolutely loved it. We also prefer to stay in resorts, however, we were not disapointed at PG.

We stayed in a two bedroom ocean-front suit. The suits are luxurious, spacious and much more than an average condo (frette linens, marble counters, beatiful tile, large terraces over-looking the water...ect).

The beach was breath-taking and quiet. There were very few people on the beach and often we had the beach all to ourselves.

Although they do not yet serve dinner, they do provide the continental breakfast, afternoon sorbet by the pool, as well as, appetizers and plenty of wine & champagne in the evening.

We found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating, especially the resident managers Sean & Maxine - who were always on hand and knew most of the guests by name.

The atmosphere is very relaxing. This is defintely the place to go if you are looking for relaxation and peace & quiet.

Although I did not have the chance to visit PC, a few of the other guests split their stay with a package deal (3 nights at PC and 4 nights at PG). They said PC is very lovely as well - only complaint being an excess of mosquitos in comparison to provo ( not sure if this true).

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay! Good luck!

Emmy

Sep 16th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Dawn

Hi Everyone,

I can not thank-you you guys enough for all the info - Emmy - your message was a huge help - and I agree that it is a decision that I can not go wrong with either way - I love those decisions - Maybe we will also spilt our time 3 and 2 and experience them both or decide on one and just relax at one spot for the 5 nights and not deal with moving - I just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice - this is a wonderful forum due to people like you!!!!!

Sep 16th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Anne

Hi Dawn-Great idea spit between 2 locations,we did this last year Virgin Gorda than on to St.John,it really worked out very well. I think going to both is ideal.We also have done that with Anguilla and Antigua-its really fun,and the vacation seems longer.Have fun!

Sep 18th, 2000, 06:25 AM
eileen

Emmy -- My husband and I are considering Point Grace for a trip next April. I like to hang out at the beach/pool all day while he golfs, so I am concerned about the lack of a restaurant on the premises. What did you do for lunch? Do you know if they are planning on opening a restaurant soon? I will not have a car during the day so I am wondering if there are any food options for me other than going grocery shopping and making my own lunch. Thanks in advance for your input!

Sep 19th, 2000, 10:15 PM
Emmy

Hi Eileen,

When we asked the managers about the restaurant, they said it may be opened within the year, however, this was not definite. As of July, they had not yet started constuction.

You may want to e-mail them as to their progress. My experience is that they will reply quickly.

Lunch is currently available on-site, overlooking the pool. The chef prepares a variety sandwiches, salads, quiche, ect...and dessert. The plates run from $15 to $25. We had the lunch three times during our stay and the food & serveice were both good. Since we did not rent a car, this was also convenient.

The hotel staff can also call a taxi for you, if you would like to venture out for lunch. They can advise you as to which restaurants serve lunch. Offhand, I know the Golf Club and The Terrace both do.

You can also walk from PG's beach to a nearby hotel for lunch. The closest is the Sands, which is the next property over. The others would probably be at least a 10 to 15 minute walk away. A few other guests I met at PG walked over to the Sands for lunch - they said it was your basic, casual lunch fare and less expensive than PG.

Hope that helps - Emmy

Sep 20th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Eileen

Hi Emmy -- Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. I am pleased to hear that lunch is available -- I am not concerned about dinner as my husband will be back with the car and we will be able to venture out to different locations. Thanks!

Oct 22nd, 2000, 08:23 AM
Margot

Dawn,

what did you finally decide? My husband and I are going to Parrot Cay the first week in November. I'm so excited, can hardly wait. All of the info. I've gotten sounds amazing. We're really not sure what to expect since this is very different from a usual large resort, but it sounds absolutely heavenly. I've been hearing that there are a lot of celebrities who go there. Any more info. from anyone is greatly appreciated! Have a great vacation!

Oct 23rd, 2000, 01:04 PM
Dawn

Dear Margot,

Hi there! We were going to spilt between Point Grace(which I hear alot of amazing reports on) and Parrot-Cay but being we will be traveling with my sister and her husband they would prefer to stay at one place and not move for the 5 nights - if we had a few more nights I would have split our time - I also hear wonderful reviews about Parrot-Cay - it all depends on what you are looking for - we want just peace and quiet - we do not want any nightlife - so I am sure we will not be disappointed - please post a trip report when you return - I would love to hear to hear your thoughts - we will be there for Thanksgiving weekend. Hope you have a wonderful time - Enjoy!

Oct 29th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Margot

Dawn,

I will definitely let you know all the details of the trip. I hope it's going to be great. We leave in less than a week. I'll post a review when I get back.

Margot

Nov 8th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Lou

Hi Dawn, Emmy, etc.

We have reservations at Point Grace for 8 days beginning 12/9. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which units are best. Also, we are renting a car - any restaurant suggestions? Also, any good places to shop for gifts, local items, etc? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Lou

Nov 8th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Eileen

Hi Lou -- I am interested in the same information and going in April so would appreciate your input when you return. We are staying in the 1BR oceanfront but not sure if we should request the 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor. The first floor units have a stairway directly from the balcony to the beach, so that's nice, but I was concerned that the lower floor wouldn't have as a great view, in my experience the 2nd or 3rd floor is usually better cause of foliage blocking 1st floor, etc. Any input from you when you return would be great! Thanks.

Nov 10th, 2000, 08:38 PM
Emmy

Dear Lou & Eileen,

I have stayed in a 2BR beachfront (first floor) & 3BR beachfront (third floor) and both had excellent views. All of the beachfront properties have great views, you won't be disappointed! Foliage won't be a problem either. The ground floor units do have stairs leading to the sand, however, you are not allowed to access the beach this way due to protected sand dunes and scrub. The plus side of the ground floor units is that the stairs lead to an uncovered resting area where there is a table w/umbrella and a lounger, in addition to your huge terrace.

I didn't do any shopping while there, however, Ports Of Call is the main (but small) place to find gift stores. There also also a few stores near the Caicos cafe also. During off-season the stores usually close early in the day. You may want to try other hotels for gift stores as well.

As for restaurants, you'll hear alot about Anacaona, however, I understand their acclaimed chef is now at The Terrace. The Anacaona does have a nice atmosphere, however, in my opinion, Coyaba has better fine cuisine in that price level. I also enjoyed The Terrace, Gecko Grille (be patient w/service!), and the restaurant at the Golf Club. I have heard that Baci is good for italian as well, though didn't have a chance to try it.

Enjoy !!!
Emmy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO