please ease my worries...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby to be and I are flying in to St. Thomas on October 3 a few days after our wedding. We were originally sold on renting a villa on St. John. However, something has come to my attention and made me question our decision (and made me change the view of myself as an outdoor person): I have stumbled upon several posts on various travel forums about the wildlife making its way indoors. While I understand this is the tropics, I would prefer not to find a hairy spider warning my bed for me at night... Actually, the idea of geckos, iguanas, ants, etc. do not send chills up my spine, it's pretty much just the spiders, and hairy ones at that. While I realize that this post might be laughable and ridiculous to some, I don't want to be stressed out at all on my honeymoon. What should we do? Where should we stay?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM

Have you thought about Caneel Bay on St. John? My husband and I are returning for the 2nd time this October as well for our 4 year anniversary.
I hear different stories regarding villas/bugs, etc. I think though the newer the villa the less you have to worry. We had a few bugs in our room at Caneel Bay a few years ago but nothing out of the ordinary. I would definitely bring bug spray though. For some reason whenever we go to St. John that time of year I get eaten alive by mosquitos! Congrats and don't worry - Susan
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:34 AM

sunshine,
we have rented several villas in the Caribbean (including St. Thomas) and bugs have never been an issue. We did have geckos in Jamaica which initially concerned me, but after about 1/2 hour, i came to like the little buggers! Not sure which villa you're looking at or the company you're using, but every villa we've rented has been EXTREMELY luxurious and meticulously maintained. I just can't image better accommodations or any worries you should have about bugs. Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:20 PM

Although nobody can guarantee that your accomodations will be completely spider free, you'll most likely be just fine.

Like you said, it's the tropics, and you (WILL) have a few creatures around, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just concentrate on relaxing and have a great time....
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:40 AM

Sunshine-daydream: We have a home in St. John set in a woody environment and I have never encountered a large spider in my home. I suppose you are referring to the posts about the large hairy tarantula-like spiders. Actually, these are called "ground spiders" and they burrow their homes in the woodsy dirt. They are extremely shy and come out only to feed on insects. You probably read a few posts because it's kind of extraordinary to see one in St. John anyway. I have only seen one twice, once when a gardener was digging up new patch, and once at Cinnamon Bay campgrounds when some kids were playing with a dead one. We had a friend visit us (who is absolutely notorious for being a scaredycat about just anything) and she did just fine. She was far more conscious of the outdoor shower (and someone might accidentally see her naked) than anything in the wild. If you are renting a villa, get one with airconditioning. The insects seem to hate the cold air. The resorts are pretty good about keeping all bugs and critters out, but anytime it's warm you will get mosquitos (including summer at home),so just bring plenty of bug spray. A little spraying in the early evening when mosquitos are prevalent, be conscientious about closing unscreened doors and windows, and you're fine. Nothing you wouldn't normally do at home in the summer. The geckos, ants and iguanas are not interested in humans, only our garbage. So, don't worry. Pick a few possible accomodations and this board will be happy to vet them for you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:25 PM

Sunshine,
I've also seen some of the recent spider posts on other forums and am so glad I didn't read them before our trip - I'm terrified of spiders!

We just spent the first week in July on St John in a villa above Great Cruz Bay. We didn't see a single spider our entire stay. Plenty of little geckos OUTSIDE, and plenty of other bugs around the outside lights at dusk (though surprisingly mosquitoes weren't a problem). The only bugs we experienced inside were the tiny red ants in the kitchen if you left any food out, and I don't think you can avoid them anywhere in the Caribbean.

Our villa was fully air conditioned, so that may have helped as Tuxedocat mentioned. Also, with the a/c you're not leaving doors and windows open. To ease your mind, you may want to post a question about your specific villa to see what other renters have experienced. FYI, we rented Idyllic through Vacation Vistas and it was immaculate.

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time on your honeymoon. Good luck!
Ellie
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:01 AM

If it will freak you out that much to see bugs, lizards, etc., then maybe the Caribbean is not for you.

Peace, Greenie
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:06 PM

I have to agree with Ellie. We too just returned from a trip to St. John where we rented a villa (Perelandra). We had a wonderful time. I HATE HATE the thought of creepy crawly things crawling on me at night but I never had any kind of problem with anything like that. Only the bedrooms had a/c but really we weren't bothered by anything. Only 'wildlife' we saw was a couple bright green grasshoppers & 1 caterpillar & little flying things around the screens at night (attracted by the indoor lights but not entering in!). We saw lizards and iguanas outside which were cool (as well as a bunch of neat birds & butterflies). We didn't even have problems with ants in the kitchen or anything. But we were very careful about putting all food items away in the fridge, tupperware or microwave. The villa was very neat, clean, well-kept; very comfortable. If I could figure out a way of living there, I would!