Are mosquitos a big problem in St. John?

Feb 6th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Are mosquitos a big problem in St. John?

Hi. I'll be staying at the Gallows Point (thanks Mermaid) in Cruz Bay on St. John.
I read somewhere somebody complaining about mosquitos being a big problem, but I only saw one comment of that nature.
Does anyone have any problems to report on mosquitos? Any suggestions on avoiding them (other than just bug spray), such as are there parts of the island that are less affected than others? Are there especially bad areas, or times of day that we should avoid?
Any help would be appreciated.
I'm assuming it's not that big a deal or people wouldn't have such nice things to say about the island, but maybe they're just hearty souls.
thanks,
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM

We stayed at a villa last year and had a terrible time with mosquito's in the evening at the villa. No clue where they were getting in from as all the windows were shut etc, however it was horrible. Got so annoying that I literally rented a room at the Westin for 2 nights for some freedom from the "buzzing". During the day or even outside in the evening it didn't seem like an issue--until we got back in our villa.

I've heard good things about Gallows and dont expect that you will have similar problems. You might want to bring some spray/incense along, but I don't think you'll need it.--possibly at dusk if you are at a beach.

Wish I could remember the name of the Villa Company so that I could post it.
Feb 6th, 2003, 07:06 PM

In the Caribbean the no see 'em and skeeters can be a nuisance depending on the wind (they aren't as bothersome when windy but are when it's rainy). Since the use of pesticides is limited on St. John from about an hour before sunset into the night, early in the morning and after a rainy spell you need to be vigilent with the repellent. The location of your villa in relation to the trades makes some villas more of a haven for biting pests.
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Hi goNets, are you sick of me yet??? Just wanted to mention that in my experience it's not so much the mosquitos but the tiny little noseeums that really get me.
I highly recommend a repellent with a high percentage of DEET in the early evening when the little critters are most active. Use it on any exposed skin, especially around your ankles and feet.
KaribIslander brings up a very good point. Since St John is 2/3's national park very little spraying for insects goes on, so you will find more of a problem with biting insects like mosquitoes than you would on some other islands.
IMHO, you won't have an issue at Gallows Point,(we had no problem with any kind of bugs there) the breezes will help tremendously. Just use something like Deep Woods Off around your feet and ankles before you go out for the evening and you'll be fine.

PS, There is cable TV at Gallows and for some reason the NBC affiliate that's available is WNBC from good old NYC. So you'll be able to keep up on the antics of your beloved Nets!
Feb 7th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Mermaid gave you excellent advice regarding mosquitos and noseeums but I would add one thing.
If you're at the beach at dusk, definitely lather on the Deep Woods Off or something similar. The sand fleas are relentless and they are very tiny. I have had a bad reaction to being bitten numerous times and was laid up for a couple of days with very swollen feet and ankles.
Don't let that scare you off, just be vigilant about the repellent. Some people aren't bothered by them at all and some are like me. You'll love St John, have fun!
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all the advice. As much as I hate to put on bug spray, I hate being eaten alive more.
Mermaid,
How can I get sick of someone who provides so much helpful advice.
It's also very reassuring to know that I'll be able to stay on top of my Nets and Devils.
Thanks again.