St. John Waters Temps In Late November

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. John Waters Temps In Late November

Does anyone have experience with St. John water temps in late November. We're about to finalize a Thanksgiving trip down there, but are concerned about cold water, since snorkeling is tops on our list of things to do. Other than possibly being a little on the chilly side, is there a risk that the water will simply be too cold to enter?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:25 AM

In a word, no. I don't think the water temps drop below mid-70's, at their lowest. My only concern would be swells, which might affect the north shore beaches for snorkeling, but that comes into play further into the winter, I think. Perhaps others can chime in on that.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM

We've been there early Dec. and found comfortable water for even the floating while you snorkel. At least 80 deg. Have fun! Wonderful island!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM

I went snorkeling down there last December. The previous time I went was Sept. of 2003. While the water was noticeably cooler in December than Sept., it was still decent and almost perfect. The biggest difference between the two times was that I needed long sleeves to throw on during the boat ride in December, where as in Sept. I couldn't take enough clothing items off to keep cool!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Being a New Englander, the water in St. John during the winter (January) still seems like bath water to me. The locals start crying about how cold it is if the weather gets to 75 degrees. It will be wonderful. Even with winter swells on the north shore, the south shore still has ample (and IMO better) snorkeling with semi-quiet water.