Search

Peter Island experts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Island experts

We're beginning to make our plans for PI for early Dec '07. We'll be splitting our time in the BVI's-- 5 nights villa on Virgin Gorda, 4 nights PI. (Last year we did half and half villa and Little Dix-- loved VG.)

Here's my main question: I'm trying to decide which room category to book at PI. More impt to us than anything else are privacy and quiet. (In fact, we don't enjoy being too too close to the water because we don't like to hear surf at night-- love it in the day.) I'd be most appreciative if those of you who know PI well could remind me of the differences between the ocean view cottages on PI and the beach cottages. Of course the beach are significantly more expensive, but I wonder if they have more privacy, etc. Is the space much greater in those rooms-- or is it just that one is closer to the beach? Etc.

Would also be interested in hearing any pros and cons abt getting over to PI-- especially whether other folks have done back-and-forthing between PI and VG (I know there's a ferry that PI sends one day a week to the Baths.)

Thanks very much!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM

We stayed at Peter Island last October. We stayed in the beachfront suite. They are right on the beach, so you would most likely hear the ocean, but I think they are more private than the Oceanview rooms. The oceanview rooms were right by the main restaurant and pool, so I would think it would be busier in that area. The beachfront suites are on the other side of the resort and more removed from the "action" I didn't go in the oceanview rooms, but from my understanding they are smaller and have a more standard bathroom. We loved the large bathroom with the double jacuzzi and double headed shower in the beachfront suite.

We did take the baths day trip from Peter Island and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

In fact we loved Virgin Gorda so much that we are going back in December and staying at Little Dix (you reviews by the way were quite helpful!).
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM

We just got back from PI and stayed in a Beachfront Suite. The Oceanfront Suites are right by the pool and restaurant and I'll bet the sound of the bands that play at night would be noisier than the surf. I don't remember being bothered by the sound of the surf in our room at all. I'll bet, though, that privacy is not an issue with any of the rooms. Check out the VG excursion from PI. We were really looking forward to that and then found out, quite by chance, that the boat does not go straight to VG, but stops first at Cooper Island and then Norman Island for snorkeling and by the time you get to VG, you don't have that much time. If you wanted to go from Tortola, you could, but you would need to check the ferry schedules to see if you would have enough time over there. We absolutely loved PI but will not spend that much for our vacation every year and plan to try Biras Creek on VG next year. That was the main reason we wanted to do the VG excursion - to check out Biras Creek and eat lunch at the Fat Gorda. Oh well, we'll just go in "fresh" next summer!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for replying.

Lauren: I hope you love Virgin Gorda as much as we did. Also, since you like tubs (we're shower folks-- tho I love hot tubs, too, but not especially in the tropics...), I hope you're able to spring for one of the junior suites at Little Dix. They really are quite splendid-- way bigger and better than our also quite wonderful non-suite room. My memory is that there's a shower outside as well as inside, plus a jacuzzi tub. In any case, they're new and beautiful. Be sure to explore as much of Virgin Gorda as you can-- very, very handsome.

Jill: noise from the bands at night! ouch! Actually, I'm pleased to hear that there's live music-- but we're sort of early-to-bed types and would hate hearing music. Aren't there some rooms well removed from the "action"?
Also: Am I remembering correctly from one of your other posts that the PI "private ferry" can actually make you hang around in the St Thomas airport for an extra couple of hours. I'd be fairly annoyed if that happened. I don't think Caneel or Little Dix would pull anything like that (tho I could be mistaken).
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

When I looked at the photo on Scuba Mom's excellent website, it seemed as if some of the "view" rooms were well away from the pool, music, etc. I'm hoping that someone can tell me that's correct. E.g., it looks as if there's a building way out on the point-- where the view would be great and the noise/traffic minimal. Does anyone know what the number of that building is? And whether the view/privacy, etc is as good as it appears it could be? Thanks again!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

The Ocean View rooms sit in a curve near the pool and library area, also next to the main pavilion. Those on the "point" are somewhat private but who knows if you might get one of those or be in one nearer the main area. Bands tend to play until 10ish and you can hear them in the nearby rooms.

For the most privacy, book a BeachFront room which overlook the beach but set back about 50' with a grassy/palmy area between the buildings and the beach. The bathrooms are huge and have a two person soaking tub flanked by a 7' wide double shower (in other words, you walk through the shower with shower heads on either side to reach the tub. Neat arrangement.

If you plan to spend little time in your room, the OceanView rooms are fine. If you like to lounge around in your room, on your own patio or balcony overlooking the sea and beach - choose a BeachFront Suite.

Either way - have fun!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Poss,

Not sure what building number it is, but when we were there in 2003, we were in room 130--in the last building-furthest from the dining/lobby/pool area. We requested ground floor, and really enjoyed the room. We couldn't spring for the beachfront, but honestly loved the room we were in anyway! The bathroom is small tho. We did not hear any noise, and we usually crash about 9:30-10pm. I sure hope this helps you!!
Carol