Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Perfect honeymoon destination-which Sandals or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is researching a September honeymoon destination for 2008. Of course, you get the 50% that love Sandals and the other half that finds the properties overrated. The two of them had a blast at an AI in Cuba so I think they would be pleased..any advice or suggested properties?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM

We are die hard Sandals lovers, and have been to all the properties a few times with the exception of Antigue. They are all different so it really depends on what she is looking for in a honeymoon. She or you can email direct and I will help you as much as I can on advice as to with resort she would like best.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:38 AM

It depends on the kind of honeymoon they are looking for.

I love Jamaica and used to choose Sandals for my trips there that were to AIs but I prefer Couples and the Lido resorts these days. Quieter, with nice touches like strolling sax players in the evenings. And Swept Away is a joy for sports and fitness folks which we are.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding! Yes, tripadvisor, etc. has lots of pros and cons in their ratings and it makes you question if the properties are right for you. Kimberley, when she comes back home this weekend I will have her email you perhaps. Jamaica scares us both just because it seems unsafe outside of the properties.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
KVR

We've been to 2 Sandals; Royal Bahamian in Nassau and the Grande in St. Lucia. All Sandals properties are not created equal. Though I love the concept, I do think they are overpriced for what you get. You can get the same services and room catagories, except butler service, in the Mayan Riveria for 1/2 the price.

When we went to Negril, we definatley were not interested in any of the Sandals properties. However, I would consider Sandals Dunn River Falls in Ocho Rios. I hesitate in any of the Couples properties, though I do feel they are a better deal than Sandals, because I don't like their nude/topless beach concept. Call me a prude, but that really is a turn off and the pools look boring compared to Sandals. We have avoided Couples on that basis.

We read the good, the bad, and the ugly about Jamaica for 5 years before we decided to see for ourselves. Fortunatly, we've been to many other Caribbean Islands first and had a good idea of what to expect. Most of the stuff we read about or was told about did not apply to our vacation. Just use common sense and go with the sponsored tours or recommended taxi drivers. Not getting off the resort and seeing what Jamaica has to offer would be a terrible shame.

If we ever get to Negril again, I would definitly book Sunset at the Palms.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Horatio, you should not feel scared about Jamaica. A little common sence is all you need,it is no worse then in any other place. I live just outside of Chicago and I would not go out at night in some of those neighborhoods either. We have been to Jamaica around 7 times and its our favorite Island and we have been to many islands.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 04:02 AM

I have been to Jamaica as a solo traveller, with friends or as part of a couple. Never a problem and I am not resort bound but have stayed in small inns, villas, as well as AIs.

As for Couples being nude, since when? I have stayed there 4 times and yes, in Negril, the allow toplessless but so does most every resort on 7 mile beach. Perhaps the poster is confusing Couples with the Lido resorts that have a nude beach, but it not Hedonism at all.

We like Couples SA for the quiet pools so different strokes.

And SDR is my fav Sandals in Jamaica (10 visits there before I moved on to other resorts that suited me better).

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM
KVR

"As for Couples being nude, since when?"

I suggest you look on their web-site. Here's a quote directly from their on-line brochure:

"Can we suntan in the buff?
Sure, at Couples Ocho Rios there is a private island for just this. We will transport guests who wish to suntan au naturel on a small boat to the island. The island has a bar and beach grill facilities. At Couples Negril there is a small area designated for nude sunbathing. Couples Sans Souci has a separate beach for au natural sunbathing, there is a pool, Jacuzzi, bar and beach grill. Au naturel sunbathing is not permitted at Couples Swept Away. Due to the world-wide popularity of our resorts, it is possible you may encounter some topless sunbathers."

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Sandals Antigua is a romantically, intimate resort on Dickenson Bay. It has a quaint charm and elegance at the same time. Lots of pools - we liked the one with the swim-up bar and whirlpools. Good dining at restaurants, good bars, and a great spa so you get the entire pampering experience. Plus, Antigua is a wonderful island.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Wow..thanks to all of you for your input! Now, they are thinking about heading for their honeymoon at the end of September..would that change your destination suggestions? I know the ABC islands are always recommended but there are no Sandals properties there..
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

and...for a honeymoon are there real differences in the category of room you book? Which ones would you recommend?
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Usually if you are on your Honeymoon Sandals will give you an upgrade on your room category to something nice like an oceanview. Just have her tell them it is there honeymoon when booking. Sandals Antique is a beautiful resort and just done some major renovations. All the Sandal resort are great....email me if you have any specific?'s
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM

If they have their hearts set on Sandals, then let them go discover what it's all about and settle in and enjoy.

If they think that worrying about hurricanes is too much extra stress, then I am going to tell you that every good thing that you have heard about the Marriott in Curacao is true. That would also be a great choice. It's not a lush island, although the hotel does lush plantings. I recommend that people rent a car at least for a day or two to see the cacti, drive up to Fort Nassau for a welcome drink and the incrediible view, see the wind-gnarled divi-divi trees, and Christoffel Park.