Search

Overnight at Vieques

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight at Vieques

Want to stay overnight at the new Wyndham. Has anyone stayed there or would they suggest any place else. Three adults traveling. Is there enough to do there for a day or two? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:37 AM

Got back from 8 days in Vieques on 2 Nov. Stayed at Wyndham Martineau Bay. Posted a long trip report on this site. If you can't find it it is also in the Caribbean-on-Line.com Puerto Rico forum.
Wyndham is very nice. Lots of beaches to explore. Good web site for Vieques info is www.vieques-island.com
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:31 PM

I'm sorry to say I completely disagree. We stayed at the Wyndham in late Oct and it was one of the worst hotel experiences we've ever had - and we travel a lot. Hotel is isolated and overpriced ($18 for two eggs at breakfast!), and the staff is about as far from professional as you can get. It took us several hours to get any information on hotel amenities and tours. And you can forget about relaxing by the pool with a drink while you wait - the bartender blares top 40 music all day. We wound up leaving early to stay at Bananas, which is a very basic hotel but the owners are great, rooms are clean, and you're right next to several restaurants and a snorkel shop.

On a different note, the biobay is amazing and alone was worth the trip to Vieques.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:46 AM

Sorry you had such a bad experience at Wyndham. We were both there at the same time and saw you several times at Bananas when we were there for lunch. If you had read some of the vieques/wyndham posts on this site proior to leaving you would have known breakfast was expensive but no more so than a lot of islands. We solved that easily by going to the store and deli and buying stuff to have breakfast on our balcony. Did eat breakfast twice at the restaurant. Every request of the staff was met with a cordial and prompt response. Hilda the concierge was a gem. When it was raining one of the maids even gave us her umbrella to use. was impresseed that hte Director of maintenance even stopped to introduce himself and asked if everything was okay with the room and if we had any problems to contact him. If you had a problem with the loud music at the pool all you had to do was ask Hector or Eric to turn it down. Wyndham isn't any more isolated than most of the other guest houses on Vieques. It is about a 10 min drive to town. Since the Navy only turned over Camp Garcia and the land they used for shore bombardment and training to Vieques in May there isn't a big tourist infastructure. No real organized tours per se. Vieques is still remote so not a lot of things to see except a lighthouse, small museum and fort. The best thing is to rent a car and explore on your own. Glad you enjoyed Bananas. Good food but probably the last place I'd stay. For what I paid and value recieved I'd rate Wyndham in the top ten of the resorts we have stayed at in the Caribbean and we too travel a lot. Five trips to the Caribbean this year.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM

We were unable to find Hilda because whenever we dialed the "concierge" button, no one answered the phone. Expensive breakfast aside, there simply appeared to be no service at all.

Travelprincess, perhaps you want to look into one of the many guesthouses that are more centrally located and can set you up with whatever you need. I've heard great things about Hotel Amistad and the guy who runs it, Owen, is lovely. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 06:15 PM

We stayed at a small place near Bananas that is actually condos, I believe. They were pretty nice,and the restaurant was also very good (I think it was called Trade Winds...)Anyway check out www.viequesisland.com (?) DO go on the biobay trip. It is something unlike anything you've ever done before. Plan to go swimming while you're out there, or you will regret it. It is like swimming in stars. Amazing.