Puerto Rico

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Puerto Rico

Hi
My husband and I are thinking about going to Puerto Rico and was wondering if anyone has stayed at the InterContinental San Juan or The Rio Mar Beach Resort and Spa. I am interested in the beaches, the restaurants ( how you would rate them) and the cleanliness of the rooms.
Thanks so much for your help - this will be our first time in Puerto Rico.
Judy
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM

We stayed at the Intercontinental in February. We really enjoyed out stay at this hotel. It has a laid back vibe to it. If you are looking for something more glitzy (las vegas style), check out teh El San Juan next door.

The beach at the intercontinental is great. The rooms were clean. Yhe ocean view rooms have been updated more than the city view (they have flat screen TVs and newer furniture), but our city view room was perfectly fine and a decent size. We had a king and a sofabed (for my 16 y.o.).

We didn't eat much at the hotel. Across the street is a little strip mall that had a small Puerto Rican coffee shop kind of place, Mi Casita, that had a very nice, inexpensive breakfast. There also was a bagel bakery. We had lunch several times at the hotel beachfront place, Caio Meditarrean. It's pretty basic food, at typical hotel prices, but adequate and a nice setting with good frozen drinks. All our dinners were offsite, and very good. There are some good places within walking distance, and some a short cab ride away. We had the breakfast buffet at the hotel our last morning. It's great, but quite expensive (about $20 compared to a bacon & egg breakfast at Mi Casita for $5).

I am not familiar with Rio Mar. Check the Caribbean board for more info.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for responding - you gave me some great information. Just curious, what did you guys do while you were staying at the InterContinental?? Were there lots of water sports provided, cruises, - was there hiking in a near by jungle area? Thanks again for your information, we are really excited about traveling to Puerto Rico
Judy
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM

We were there for 5 days and spent most of it on the beach. There are some water sports kiosks set up on the beach in front of the El San Juan next door (Jet skis, parasailing banana boats). We did go parasailing.

We've been to San Juan before and rented a car to go to El Yunque for the day. It's well worth seeing. We had also been to Old San Juan before, and went again for dinner one evening. Old San Juan is a lovely little town.

There are various tours you can arrange for through the concierge, although we didn't bother with this. They all have bus pickup/dropoff at the hotel. We were there primarily to relax. The pool area is also quite nice. We'd usually move to the pool area in the late afternoon when it started to empty out.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all your help - Thanks again for your info - the place sounds wonderful with lots to do.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM

We stayed at the Rio Mar when it was a Westin in Nov 2006. We liked the hotel. It has a large pool area separated into sections. (There is a volley ball net at one end).
The beach is steps away and we enjoyed swimming and boogie boarding (just enough surf in Nov... I wouldn't call it a calm beach for toddlers).
We found lots of live sand dollars in the sea. I'd never seen live ones before.

The food at the hotel was expensive but breakfast was included in our rate and it was very good. We had a car so left the property for other meals. Essential to have a car here or you'd be stuck. It's very close to El Yunque which is well worth a visit. We hiked to the Mina falls and had a dip. The hotel is also a few minutes from Luquillo beach which is a public beach and has food vendors. It's a gorgeous beach.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi
I have a question about the beaches at the Rio Mar beach, are they waves or calm like the carribean? Also when you mention the food vendors, I am assuming that it is safe to eat outside of the hotel?

Thanks for the input from everyone so far.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM

There were small waves at the beach at the Rio Mar. We walked out to waist depth and for one in ten waves we could boogie board into shore. The rest of the time the waves lapped us around chest height.
We were only there for 2 nights in Nov 06 so I'm not sure if this was typical for the season or year round.

Kiosk no2 on Luquillo gets lots of raves. Food was good to great on the island in general but best in Old San Juan area.