Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Other cheap package providers besides Apple Vacations?

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Wileen

Hello!

I would like to plan a surprise trip for my husband, who finally found a new job after losing his 10 months ago.

I work, but still have to be budget conscious. I would like to do something like 4 nights from New York City to a very sunny, warm destination with nice, clean accomodations and decent food. The trip would mostly be to get out of the cold here and take a break from the stress we have been having (wouldn't mind getting a nice tan!!). We both like to snorkel also.

I have looked at Apple Vacations, but they seem very limited in their choices.

Can any of you knowledgeable folks recommend websites or agencies that provide inexpesive, wholesale deals to nice sunny destinations?

Thanks a million for your help!! Wileen Lin

Dec 10th, 2002, 08:09 PM
GM

Hi, there's Travel Impressions and Go-Go Travel (believe G-G is out of Paramus; I'm in the NYC area myself).

I HIGHLY recommend the pkgs offered via the airlines. We have not been disappointed with Continental's Cool Vacations, Delta's and American's either.

I think you would appreciate the pkg that Continental has from Newark to St. Thomas non-stop, and it's like a 3.75 hr. flight. St. Thomas would be great, and April is out of high season; I just don't recommend going around Easter 2003.

Expedia, Travelocity, and Vacmart.com are good sites on the Net that can offer deals too.

Congrats to hubby on his new job! I know that was very stressful, and now's the time to definitely plan a nice (but budget conscious) getaway for a break.

Have a great time, where ever you decide.

Dec 11th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Parrot Mom

First, wish your husband well in his new job. Check out TNT and GWV who do charters as close to you as Hartford to the Carribean..They also have trips from R.I. and Boston.. Check out Vacation Outlet who will be havng a sale in January and lots of last minute bargains..

Dec 11th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Traveller

Also check out http://www.travelunlimited.com as they always have specials but not all of them listed on their website (you have to call or email them). Good people to deal with.

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Mary

Funjet Vacations is very similar to Apple.

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:48 AM
travelbuff

Try Liberty Travel also does a great job on package deals and the website is www.libertytravel.com

Dec 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Help

Am I missing something with vacation outlet? I've seen them recommended for cheap vacations before, and found them to be very pricey, so I thought I'd give them another shot since you just recommended them, parrotmom.

The prices they list for Punta Cana for instance are much, much higher than Apple. They seem very expensive. Is there some part of their site that has specials that I might be missing? I'm getting prices from $4,000-$5,000 for 2 adults and 1 child in Feb. That's no bargain.

Dec 11th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Suzy

I've always found that a travel agent can find a reasonably priced package. Talk to one and tell her what you have in mind. I've had mine use Apple, Travel Charter and the airlines packages. They know how to look for the best value. Good luck and congrats to your husband.

Dec 11th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Parrot Mom

Actually went to the GWV site to check out a resort that I hoped to book shortly. Depending on the week.. and of course if your going school vacation week it's always very expensive..The resort I am looking at is sold out for the entire month of January... forFeb 1 and 9th at this 4star and well reviewed resort is $1149.00 a person..

Dec 11th, 2002, 12:24 PM
George

Get a quote from discount-all-inclusive.com, haven't beat their prices yet.

Dec 12th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Kathy

Have has good luck with package prices at vacmart.com