One day to see St. George and Hamilton!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be on a short cruise to Bermuda this summer and have only a day and a half for touring. Will go to Horseshoe Bay on the half day and will have a full day to see St. George and Hamilton. We were last in Bermuda 20 years ago! Are taking our two older sons (21 and 18). Ship will be docked in Kings Wharf. Any suggestions on how to see both St. George and Hamilton in the one day. Would like to take tea at maybe the Hamilton Princess in the late afternoon. Does anyone know what transportation goes to both? Should we ferry to St. George from the Wharf and then ferry to Hamilton or do you suggest the buses or taxis? Thanks for any ideas!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:37 AM

I suggest you buy a transportation pass when you get off the ship. The buses and ferries will take you to St. George and Hamilton. I love the ferries and would always opt for that, but in the interest of time you may prefer to take the bus. The pass will give you that option.
While tea at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess is nice, consider tea at the Lighthouse Tea Room for one of the most spectacular views of Bermuda.
Have a wonderful time. Bermuda is another world.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM

On your half day, you'll take the #7 bus to the beach and back. Please, please take the time to walk east along Horseshoe Bay - you'll find a string of parks and beaches that you can stroll and hike, and once you get away from the pretty, but tourist-covered, Horseshoe Bay, you're going to find plenty of other spots to swim (and rocks for the boys to climb!) that are not as busy. Wehn you reach the end of Warwick Long Bay, you can simply hike up the hill to the road and catch the bus back, instead of back-tracking.

To do your full day, the orange route ferry leaves Dockyard (Kings Wharf) at 0900 to St. George's, arrives 0935.

(Search for a recent post titled 'One day in Bermuda', that poster is doing things in reverse of your plan and I gave her some suggestions you might find helpful.)

The #11 bus is your best option back to town (Hamilton). It leaves every 15-30 minutes from St. George's. If you really want to spend a few hours at tea at the Princess, you can walk there. But there's so much to do, if you've got nice weather, I can't imagine sitting inside for tea!!

When you're ready to head back to Dockyard, there's a blue route ferry at 5:30, 6:30 and 8:00.

A 2-day pass is your best bet, it will run you $20 each and gives you the freedom of getting on and off the bus and ferry whenever you want.

Have a great trip!!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM

I agree with txgirl. Make sure you walk left (facing the water) once you get to horseshoe. Much more quieter and private. Its a little bit of a hike but Completely worth it.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much cmcfong, txgirlinbda and mnag! It is really so kind of you!

I haven't found the post One day in Bermuda yet but will keep trying!

to txgirlinbda: The reason for the "Tea" is that we will need to eat a later lunch on the full day and (surpisingly) our sons really loved tea when we went to England and Scotland last year! They are typical video game, bass playing, weightlifting guys but scones and clotted cream have conquered them! Ha! So we thought a nice tea instead of a pizza/sandwich option would be tres Bermuda! Thanks for all the route info!
to cmcfong: Thanks for tea suggestion at the Lighthouse. We will be going by there on a shore excursion to Horseshoe Bay with the ship....we are on a bus for the second day....hubby wanted to do it as an excursion to make sure we get back to the ship before it leaves! And he wasn't sure about getting public buses from Horseshoe Bay. I see by the post from txgirlindba, how it can be done. So we may change that.

to mnag: Will take your advice and txgirlinbda's on the beaches!

Many thanks to you all! If you think of anything that is neat to do in Dockyard, St, George or Hamilton that might interest a 21 and 18 year old, please post again!

Any other thoughts

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

txgirlinbda: Found the One Day post you referenced! (Interesting that it is not listed at all when you search on Bermuda but if you search on Caribbean and General Interest you find it!)

Wow that is a lot of great info you gave there txgirlinbda! Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks!! It's a pleasure! I just got back from a great hour of snorkelling - have the boys throw masks and snorkels in their bags, too - lots of places to check out the underwater world. Remember the bus drivers don't let you on if you're wet, though, so carry towels. Dockyard and St. George's offer glass-bottom boat/snorkel tours and jetski tours, too.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Just a ditto to txgirlinbda, take your own snorkel equipment. I was so disappointed to take the two teenagers I traveled with last week to Church Bay thinking there was a concessionaire there. NO! The girls had a great time and loved swimming and "looking" but a good mask would have substantially improved the experience.
Have a great time!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Good advice renorkel equipment! thanks again to txgirlinbda and cmcfong!