Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Not trolling. Has the prospect of war put you off travelling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Caribgirl

This question is not meant to start a battle of words about war itself. <BR>I was just wondering if anyone has decided to postpone travelling for now.<BR>Also, do you think airfares will go down if there is a war?

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It hasn't prevented me from traveling altogether. Nothing but death would stop me. But it has changed my plans. My original plan for this year was to go to Paris, but with all that is going on I don't think its a good idea for an anerican to be in a foreign country. Yes I realize that caribbean islands are foreign countries, but they usually are not involved. I will feel much safer on a caribbean island then I would in Europe.<BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Caribgirl

Thanks ktyson.<BR>I was also hoping to take the family to Paris, but I think the US dollar will be even worse now, wich is more of a consideration in my plans.<BR><BR>The prospect of war is VERY worrying for the Caribbean islands as their main economy is tourism. You will be a very welcome visitor! Where are you thinking of going?<BR><BR>Anyone else out there with any thoughts on my original question?

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Were not sure. I've been to Cozumel and just love it there. So we are thinking of going back there. The other place we are considering is Aruba. I've never been there, but always wanted to go. Well I hope the caribbean doesn't hurt too much. Maybe most people will think like I do and consider it a safe place to travel to.<BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:20 AM

I just returned from St Thomas. I expected lots of people but that was not the case anywhere we went. Our hotel (Renaissance) was no more than half full. Every restaurant we walked into seated us right away without a reservation. The people in the shops were desperate for a sale. One guy in a jewelry store told us business is slow because of the economy &amp; fear of terrorism. He said they are selling some small items but nothing big. Everybody was so eager to bargain. I felt bad because tourism is so important to the island. The US Virgin Islands are part of the US so it's as safe as any other place in the country but I can understand if flying makes people uncomfortable. It was odd but when we checked in for our flight to ST Thomas, the attendant said she did not need to see our identification because the information was already in the computer. We had not shown it to anyone that day. I don't know what that was all about but it did not make me feel too secure. It was a great trip but I am glad I am home now.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Lets hope and pray that we do not have a war.<BR><BR>If we do have a war, no doubt prices will go down because people will not want to travel.<BR><BR>But lets hope that doesn't happen because lives will be ended if we have war!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:45 AM

It's in the back of my mind but I'm not really concerned about Caribbean travel.<BR><BR>Our children are not coming with us to Jamaica this spring, they are going on vacation with my parents...to Washington DC.<BR><BR>Now THAT I'm a little worried about!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:01 PM

I live in Washington DC &amp; work in sight of the Capitol -- we usually travel to the Caribbean in November but I am thinking about a May trip only because I'd rather be there watching from afar than here in the thick of things.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:43 PM

i'm glad to see other people thinking and talking about this. we want to plan our trip but are waiting to see what is happening with the war situation too...today there is more talk of possible terrorism. <BR><BR>take care!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Louis

No, the prospect of a US action in Iraq has not affected us in thoughts about travel and we are free to travel as we want as we are both retired. If there are sound reasons not to visit an area then that is another reason to change plans. However, life is short and and we advise grabbing every change you get to visit the places you have always wanted to see. We did cancel a trip in December just after 9/11 and we regret it ever since. It was into Jordan and Eqypt. For sound reasons Jordan would not be on our list today. I hope we will live long enough for things to change. The only thing in life to fear is fear itself.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:09 AM

If you allow the threat of terrorism/war to keep you from traveling freely, then the terrorist have won. Sorry, but until there is open combat occurring in the caribbean, I will continue to enjoy visiting it with no concern. My wife &amp; I refuse to live in fear...life is too short to be scared. When your number comes up, it comes up. Until then, we will continue to lead a normal life.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I am travelling this coming weekend to Jamaica. I'm not concerned about my flight or my stay in Jamaica. I am concerned about something happening and the borders being closed down. I guess it could be a lot worse than to be stuck in Jamaica.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:53 AM

We are getting ready to leave for STT next week. We feel that when our time is up, it's up. The other side is this: during the transition from 1999 to 2000, we were out of the country and everyone thought we had lost our minds. My answer? Can you think of a better spot to be having lunch - or a drink - than in the sun in the caribbean? I was one of a very few people around here that felt that everything would be ok and it was. Nothing has really changed, only our perception. I will not alter my life because of fear.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:19 PM

I feel that one of the greatest freedoms I have is the ability to travel. I have been very interested in geography and culture since I was a child, and find the thought of restricting something that I value so greatly to be very depressing. The only reason I can think of to not travel, is to not be able to afford it. Otherwise, you can't hold me back!!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:57 AM

The ability to have a relaxing fun vacation depends a lot on your state of mind so this is really a personal choice. We have no plans to postpone our vacation at this time--that's why travel insurance is so important.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:35 AM

My son and I have just booked airfare to Paris for a May/June trip. The threat of war does worry me but we have taken out cancellation insurance. It worries me also if people target Americans; we're Canadian but who's going to stop to ask?
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 11:50 AM

I was planning my first Cruise and my first trip to Alaska but with the threat of war looming in the near future<BR>I put my plans on hold.Not because I'm afraid to travel but because work is very slow at my place of employment and people are getting laid off.I'm am so hoping we can resolve this without going to war with Iraq....
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:19 AM
EJC

13 more days and I'll be lounging on 7Mile Beach in Grand Cayman.The only thing that concerns me is: this miserable weather here on the east coast.We're expected to get 10 inches of snow by tomorrow.Hopefully,this is the last storm. (yeah, right!!!)
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:00 AM
caribtraveler

The only change in plans would be the location. I wouldn't go to Europe nor Africa right now. But we definitely feel safe going to the Caribbean in June.<BR>We shouldn't be afraid of living our lives but we should be smart about where we're going. The reality is that not a lot of people are fans of Americans, more so now than ever.<BR>And yes I do think airfares will go down because a lot of people won't travel and the airlines, already in big financial trouble, will need to do what they can to get more travelers.<BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Not at all am leaving for Sandals Negril on Wednesday 19th for 10 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -