Not much info on Jost Van Dyke???

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not much info on Jost Van Dyke???

I posted a week ago with only 1 response (thanks for info by the way) but am now a bit concerned that this is not the place to go for a week??? How about somewhere nice in Dominican Republic then? No Ritz wanted but no "camping" either. Nature, beaches, sunsets, total relaxing with safe surroudings are the target. Cost is not important but we are sensible. Traveled a fair amount and want somewhere new and "island" setting. Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Did you see the post "Jost Van Dyke for 2"? I'm a repeat day tripper there so I really don't have any lodging/long term info to share...sorry.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Jost is definitely one of those places where you need to be comfortable providing all of your own entertainment. If water sports, good books, and congenial beach bars could sustain you for a week, Jost could be your version of paradise. It's too quiet for lots of folks but it's heaven on earth to others.

Take a look at the Sandcastle, which is a small collection of villas and I think there may even be a restaurant there now. Purple Pineapple Villas I think also reps some villas on the island, but there are stand-alone affaird and not like the setting at Sandcastle.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Hi hansboomer,

We just got back from Jost and loved it. We were camping, but I know there are several other housing options on the island, like Sandcastle which we heard positive things about. It is a VERY quiet town, but it's totally unique. If we could afford Sandcastle we would go back without question. But restaurants there are very expensive, and quality probably isn't that amazing (especially considering the cost). But as for nature, beaches sunsets, it's got all that, and it's definitely safe.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:29 AM

You can check out Jostvandyke.com It is actually a site to advertize some villas. They are very nice and just up the hill from the sandcastle. We have sailed in the BVI's many times and Jost is my favorite place. There is not alot going on, but there are a few great restaurants and bars. Maybe look at doing a bareboat vacation with a captain and cook or just the captain so you can try all thedifferent restaurants. The BVI's are very calm and great for those who are not sailors. It's worth taking a look. Some of the catamarans out there now are very luxurious. Sailing in the BVI's is one of my favorite trips to take and I've been to some very nice resorts ie: the caves jamaica and the one and only paradise island for examples.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM

My son spent a week @ Sandcastle (very small beachfront hotel) on JVD with his girlfriend a couple of years ago and loved it. Island is tiny, but you can day trip to St. John or Tortola if you want more pace.