Search

Nightlife in Barbados

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightlife in Barbados

So I am planning a trip to the Caribbean in the middle of December for 5-6 days for the first time. I am strongly considering Barbados based on all the information I have seen. It will be just myself and my wife, both under 30. Of course we want all the typical Caribbean fare - beaches, snorkeling, etc. but also definitely want nightlife, dancing. Does Barbados fit? I don't need to be out till 5 Am every night, but also don't want to have to sit alone sipping a drink.

We are open to basically anywhere in the Caribbean except Caymans, BVI, and Jamaica due to visa requirements (wife is perm. resident currently). Also definitely do not want an AI, as we would like to explore a bit as well. The only turn offs with Barbados at the is point are the travel time and the fact that flight schedules aren't the best for us. We have looked at St. Martin and USVI as well, but Barbados seems so attractive. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 04:53 AM

i think barbados might suit you - try to find a hotel near 'the gap', which is the town on the southeast coast. see barbadostips.com (created by fodor poster lois swanson after 25+ trips to barbados).
in addition you could look at playa del carmen - south of cancun. normally easy to fly to & tons of great hotels nearby. plenty of nightlife, also more daytime activities than any other location including everything from touring ruins to ziplines. see locogringo.com
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. Also, disregard the comment about visa requirements. Turns out that green card will work for those places. I have also looked at playa del carmen, but wasn't sure how heavy the resorts were there. We just don't want to be in a place where every single person stays on the resorts.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM

We enjoyed Lexy's piano bar in Holetown when we were in Barbados. It's a bit rustic but was very fun. Have you found a hotel yet?
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

If stay in Barbados, it will probably be the Hilton
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM

Barbados definitely fits and The Gap is where is all happens nightlife-wise but it is not an area I would prefer to stay. The sea is rougher in this area unlike further up the West Coast where the sea is calm.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM

West of the Gap in Barbados there is a place called "The Boatyard". On Tuesday's they give you free drinks between 9PM and 2AM, Wednesday's they have a beach party and Friday's is their night to lime'.

BTW, we love the Hilton in Barbados!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Barbados is a great fit based on the interests which you have outlines. Great nightlife can be founr on the South Coast in St. Lawrence Gap, if you wish to stay in the midst of this action there is plenty of variety from seaside lodging to romantic cabins which might require a 2-3 minute walk to the beach. There are lots of water activities on Dover beach which is at the end of this Gap. Night clubs in Barbados I think you may enjoy looking up Shipping- The Ship Inn on Thursday nights usually have a live band, The Boatyard is loads of fun. Harbour Lights ( all of these are on the South Coast)

Calmer waters are found on the West Coast which is great for swimming and snorkelling. I have to admit when in comes to nightlife on the west coast 1st and 2nd street Holetown provides a good lime. And Lexy's Piano Bar is just great.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Went ahead and picked Barbados. Still not sure on renting any type of transportation or using bus and taxis. Not really planning on the north or east coasts so we may just stick with public transport.