New years suggestions?

Old Nov 27th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New years suggestions?

We are a family of 4- 2 60ish parents and 2 single young adult daughters, who will be in the Boston area at Christmas time. Together for the first time in 6 months for Thanksgiving, we were thinking that it might be fun to go away, hopefully somewhere warm, over New Years. We cannot leave leave until 12/27 or 12/28 and we have to return by 1/03 or 1/04 at the latest (one of the girls is a teacher). We would prefer non stop or one stop flights.

Question? Does anyone have suggestions for last minute planning that isn't fiercely expensive? People have told us it is just too late. We have traveled to the Caribbean several times in the past, and went to Belize a year ago. We like Club Med because of the varied activites included in the cost, but would open to new experiences. Although my husband and I don't care about night life, it might be nice to find somewhere where the kids can have fun socially, though that is not a proirity.

I would imagine that some sort of package deal, including flights, would be the most practical. Any suggestions on how to find these?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us. I used the Forum for a recent trip to Spain to celebrate my husbands retirement, and it was extremely helpful.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 05:58 AM

If you try to plan now, it will most definitely be hellishly expensive.
Here's what we do...

Make sure everyone really wants to go and determine where you would prefer to go. Have a list of maybe three places, and try to choose places that have a lot of rooms and flights, to make your chances better.

Some suggestions - Cancun, Aruba, Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica.

Be sure you are able to pack and go in a relatively short time span, and have made arrangements for any homes, pets, kids, plants, etc. as if you are definitely going.

Watch Travelocity, Expedia, etc. every day for the release of package deals, and if you see a good one, snatch it up. (If you don't mind a cruise, there are still good deals available now for that time period but getting a cheap flight to the departure port can be a problem.)

Check out skyauction.com also. They get last-minute holiday deals sometimes.

If you have the nerve to wait until the week before (it's tough, I know) you can always find something - even if it may not be your first choice. At that point in time, I just want a Caribbean beach, sunshine and a cool rum drink!

Good luck!
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Check cvoa.com (1.877.2148.2862 for last minute air tix/US Air/Air Jamaica/American out of Logan, with Air Jamaica the only direct 4 hour 5 min.flight into MoBay, others routes Phily and Miami and arrive an hour or so later at noonish.Drambuie Estate 15 min.of MoBay has opening from 12/27 for full estate rental for 10;2.5 hours from MoBay in Treasure Beach on the South Coast Mar Blue Domicil., a new beachfront Euro-style auberge, has two rooms available with meals plan also available. See jamaicaescapes.com
Sugar Minot, a legend in reggae, performs free at the New Year's Eve concert at Jakes', with fireworks, this year.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 06:10 AM

1.877.248.2862 is correct number for cvoa
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

I have been checking the price of flights, and, so fare, it looks as if flights south are way over-priced. I'll keep looking, and hope for price cuts. Also, maybe I can find some package that uses charter flights or has previously bought seats through a consolidator.The Tivertown House villas look lovely, but would probably be better for couples- I thought some looked just gorgeous. My kids, though, would rather be at a somewhat larger place that would be more social.

Thanks, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:14 AM

Try a TA/travel agent for last-minute packages to RIU in Negril or Playa del Carmen,an hour south of Cancun which might still be available at a less than extortionary price.