New Year's Eve in Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year, I would like to spend New Year's Eve in the Caribbean. Has anyone else on this board enjoyed this experience. I wonder if it's a big deal there as it is in North America. Personally, I like the idea of escaping New Year's altogether. Is it hard to book a hotel during that time. I notice many have minimum 10 day stays over the holidays. Any experiences you could share would be appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM

Most hotels jack up their rates by 100% or more during the Christmas holidays and then gouge you further by requiring at least a 7-day minimum stay and/or a mealplan purchase.

Having said that, business is down so much right now that I suspect there may be more deals this year than in the past. Still, you should expect to pay top dollar if you want to stay in a high-end resort. Since New Year's Eve is on a Thursday this year, it's quite likely that minimum-stay requirements would make you stay through the end of the weekend.

I have never been to the Caribbean during Christmas (and would never go), so I can't tell you anything specific about what the resorts are like. I suspect there's parties, but it's not going to be Times Square or anything like that.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM

I hear Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke does a huge party New Years Eve-I would love to be there for that! You could stay on St. John and ferry over, or you could stay at Sandcastle on Jost.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:03 PM

The simple answer is YES - they do celebrate New Year's Eve in the Caribbean only on some islands the celebration is referred to as an "Old Year's" party. Most resorts, restaurants and bars will have special events that include dinner, live music, dancing and some places even have fireworks. It's pretty much the same as New year's Eve in any other part of the world.

And YES - it's one of the most popular times for tourists to visit the Caribbean - the HEIGHT of HIGH SEASON so expect the highest rates of the year and the majority of resorts have minimum stay requirements.
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM

I have done New Year's Eve in the Caribbean. Is it great? Well, if you're looking for something memorable to do for New Year's Eve, it's worth considering.
It was an alternative for us. We didn't really care for how much of the winter we had left when we returned home, but it was a great way to start the year. Along with the rum punch.