New poster here!

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New poster here!

Hello everyone! My name is Don Noel and I have lived in the islands for 17 years.10 of those years were in the USVI. If you have any questions you ever want to ask me about anything please dont be shy because I will be more than happy to help you out the best I possibly can so dont be shy about asking OK. I am thrilled to be a part of this forum on this great website!!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Welcome Don. I've been an islander for nearly 13 years (Dutch West Indies). I'm sure your advice here will be well appreciated.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Hi Don - can you tell me how far of a drive it is from Coral Bay to Cruz Bay? We're trying to decide which part of the island to stay on. Also, are there any outfits with daytrips to the BVI out of Coral BAy? THanks!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Hello zialot, everything in St. John is pretty close but I would say from Coral to Cruz would probably be around 3 miles or less, I would rent a jeep from "island rentals" to get around St. John if I were you.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Welcome to the board Caribedon. Sorry to open with a clarification on the drive between Cruz Bay and Coral Bay but it is more like 7 miles and since the speed limit (and the terrain enforces this) is about 25 miles per hour (30 for locals) it takes a good 25 minutes. But it is one of the prettiest drives anywhere, on that I'm sure we agree!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello tuxedocat! Thanks for clarifying thyat for me, I never really paid much attention to haw far it really was but with all the twists and turns it seems like 40 miles. It is a beautiful drive though isnt it!! Thanks again tux.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Hi, Don. Ex-Sint Maartener here (1982-1989) & current Virgin Islander since 1989.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:54 AM

Carrybean, when's the last time you were on St. Maarten? If it was when you left you would be amazed at the changes in the last eight or so years....some for the better, so not so much for the better.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:55 AM

that should read, "some for the better, SOME not so much for the better."
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Hey carrybean! I lived in St. Thomas on the Northside 3 driveways down from E&M grocery for years. Great area. That Sunday party at Hull Bay was great. I also miss the Sunday party on Water island very much.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:27 AM

I'm in Frenchman's Bay. Ever go to the Sunday party at Sapphire?

Statia, it's probably been about 12 years since I was there. I heard about the changes. I sure do miss the food on the French side. I hope that hasn't gone downhill.

Your name reminds me of a now gone dear friend who had one of those blue slave beads he always wore on a gold chain. Do they still find those?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Carrybean, yes the food is still good on the French side, and yes we still find the blue beads here on Statia. They are far and few between, but they're still found and cherished. Did you friend live on Statia at some point?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Carrybean: We have a house in St. John so we are often on St. Thomas for shopping and whatnot. I too have never felt in danger or uncomfortable. Most of the year, I live in a New England city and there are plenty of neighborhoods that I would not wander around in at night. Plenty of crime happens all over the place, including the suburbs. I don't understand why people think the Caribbean should be one big resort. It's just like home, it's just somebody else's home. By the way, do you love the Home Depot? I love it. I wish Lowe's would come too so everyone in the islands could enjoy their friendly competition like on the mainland. Of course, that doesn't mean I want all the big chains to come. There's only so much space for them. But Home Depot and Lowe's are okay.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:55 PM

BTW, the reference to safety on St. Thomas was actually in response to a post called "Crime on St. Thomas"
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Statia, no he lived parttime on Sint Maarten - George Steinfeld. We used to have guests who stayed with us at Mary's Boon (where I worked) from Statia but for the life of me I can't remember their names.

TuxedoCat, what I really want is a Target store. I love Home Depot too & boy, was it needed here. Too bad it didn't come after Marilyn.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Carrybean, so you worked at Mary's Boon? Did you know Mary? I have dear friends here who knew her and have such funny stories about her. One of them is the legendary pilot "Le Pipe" whom you might have heard of.

Unforutnately George's name doesn't ring a bell with me, but I'm sure it would with him. Either him or Dr. van der Waag, whose family is also close friends of ours and who have always lived close to Mary's Boon.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 02:01 AM

Yes, I knew Mary but worked at there when Rush owned it. I've heard it's a time share place since he sold it.

You don't happen to have been acquainted with the late Jean MacBeth, by chance?
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 05:56 AM

No, I have never known a Jean MacBeth...only the late Jean Gemmil from here on Statia.

Last I heard about Mary's Boon was that it was bought by a couple from Houston and as far as I know they are still running it, but I could be mistaken on that point. I wasn't aware of it being a time share, but I understand their restaurant is still fantastic with the same people working there for many years...probably since you were there.

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Hello Carrybean! I look forward to getting back toi my old home (St. Thomas) and I will definitely let you know when I am coming. I would love to meet you. I did go to the Sunday party at Sapphire plenty of times but my favorite was the Hull bay prty and the waterisland party.Long live Mountain Top!!