New airport regulations and liquor

Aug 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM
drh
Original Poster

New airport regulations and liquor

I always bring back liquor from places like St. Thomas and Jamaica. With the new regulations, I would hate to pack it in my luggage and didn't know if they count it towards your maximum luggage you can check.
Aug 11th, 2006, 08:52 AM

drh,
I was just discussing that with my coworkers. If these restrictins keep up, I wonder how those in airport shops are gonna fare?

Especially the duty free shops. Check out this article that appeared in the Gleaner - the Jamaican newspaper.
http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead4.html
Aug 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Although I have read several posts and articles, I'm still a little confused by all of this. I know the restrictions to/from the UK are severe. What about Caribbean travel from the states or elsewhere that is not UK? Can a purse be carried? Are they allowing clothing carry on? I apologize if these questions seem stupid, but I can't quite figure it all out. I'm sure it will be an evolving issue for some time. What a bummer this whole thing is and saying that, I'm not referring to what I can or can't have on the plane. Just Terrorism in general.
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM

The TSA website will answer all your questions: http://www.tsa.gov/index.shtm

Basically, no liquor in carry-on luggage.

Aug 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM

drh: I can't imagine that your liquor bottles would make it back in one piece if you check them/pack them...no matter how well. Have you seen how those handlers toss around luggage?

brenandg: It is confusing isn't it? For flights in and out of U.S., definitely no liquid and gel. So right, no liquor to/from the Caribbean. I have a friend who flew to the D.R. the morning it all happened. She said Atlanta's Hartsfield was a zoo...everyone's stuff was being tossed out.
I don't know for a fact that other European countries have not adopted UK's even tighter rules.

Aug 12th, 2006, 06:14 AM

after spending a fantastic week at carlisle bay in antigua, we arrived at the airport to mayhem. we had no idea of what was happening until we stood on a very long line finding out the horrible news. we had to leave a bottle of booze which i had in my carry-on and we had to move any liquids or jels, including sun products, hair products, drinks and creams into our checked luggage.

security went through every bag whether it was being checked or carried on. it took us nearly one and a half hours to check in where we quickly made our way to the bar to try to shake our rattled nerves.

our flight was delayed nearly two hours flying into newark on continental, partly due to the threat and partly due to bad weather that evening.

i would imagine that the airport shops are going to hurt from this. we saw many people unloading the familiar carry-on cardboard box full of liquor, trying to shield the glass bottles in their check in baggage by wrapping them up in clothing. what a mess that would be and im thinking its not worth it to have to take the chance of it shattering in your luggage.

we left our bottle of dewars with security as it was opened and they wouldnt even allow us to place it in the checked luggage. they promised not to "waste it".........

im sure that these procedures will be cleaned up and people will arrive ready for the new rules....but as our luck would have it we rode into the states on the tail of the new regulations.

i did not feel safe at all. i carried a back pack on my back and although it was screened through, i had two lighters, two bottles of cream and a bottle of anitbacterial liquid in it. no one in security asked to open it and look through.

the staff and security were very pleasant through all of this as well as the passengers toiling their way through the lines.

what a world we live in.....

but i will say that there are good people in this world and i pray that this scenerio that is in the headlines never happens.
Aug 12th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Just back from Tortola via SJU on the day of the arrest. There was heightened security at the airport but not chaotic like what you saw at the airport.

Was told no liquids, but we missed a bottle of hand cream and chap stick in my wife's purse!

The only bummer was that I wasn't able to "restock" my liquor closet at their duty free....that's my only gripe.