Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airport security/lancets for testing blood glucose for diabetes in carry-on luggage

Airport security/lancets for testing blood glucose for diabetes in carry-on luggage

Aug 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
bonzhoor

My mom has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and need to check her blood sugar at regular intervals. This is the first time she's traveling since being diagnosed so we were wondering how this is handled, specially with security in carryons(specially now, we're living for London next week).

Does anyone have any experience or know if carrying the lancets
(like a needle used to prick the skin to draw a minute sample of blood for checking blood glucose) in your purse allowed, or what does she need to do to be allowed to carry them(does she need a doctor's certification?). Since sharp objects, etc are not allowed in carryon, I would think that although the lancet needles are tiny, it would still fall in that category, however, what if it's medically necessary?

Thank you!

Aug 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Diabetes kits and supplies are allowed, even with the new regulations as of today. It wouldn't hurt to have a note from her doctor though.
Aug 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Try calling your airline, probably not today though. I'm in the same situation and both my doctor and pharmacist said the lancets are fine. JMO, she may need a copy of her prescription or a doctor's note.
Aug 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Bonzhoor

I'm type 1 and will need to carry syringes, needles, insulin as well as lancets and electronic blood meter tester with me onboard the aircraft I'll be flying overseas on in the next few days.

I spoke with a very helpfull lass at B.A. who understood that none of my equipment can be with my luggage checked into the hold.

She assured me that all the equipment will be allowed but will be subject to a physical check. She asked me to make sure I have a letter from my doctor confirming my need for all the medicine/equipment (I always carry one) and, in particular, keep the insulin in its original packaging, suitably labeled by the pharmacy showing that it is for MY use.

bill
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:04 PM

bonzhoor-are you American, flying out of an American airport? If so, TSA and all countries of course allow medical syringes associated with diabetics to be brought on board-it is life critical. You need to have everything in its original container-you can look at this TSA prohibited items list, updated in March 2006, which provides the information concerning medical syringes: (it's in the PDF file link):

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1012.shtm

Aug 10th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks Girlspytravel and apologies to bonzhoor.

I presumed you were flying out of the UK and i shouldn't have.

bill