Nevis in April: Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! Thanks to this site my husband and I have had over the top trips at Anguilla, St. John and Harbor Island. The latest spot you have helped me pick for this April is Nevis. That said, could you recommend some top restaurants (we're foodies) and must-do activities for us?

Thanks- can't wait to see what all the fuss is about on Nevis!
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
iw

Coconut Grove and Oualie Beach, oh and Bananas for food. YUM!
A taxi tour and if you are REALLY in shape, a volcano hike with Jim Johnson. If you are a like to walk kind of person, he will customize a rain forest tour that will meet your needs. Having typed the REALLY in caps, I am a 40 year old Tae Bo fiend and boxer and didn't...couldn't do that volcano hike to the top. It is tough. DH did it and slept the entire next day! LOL>
I love Nevis and like hanging at Chevy's and spending some time at the Four Seasons.
It is beautiful!

Day trip to St. Kitts...Love it!
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM

iw - Anything in particular that is good at Oualie? I'm glad to hear it's got good reviews. Heading there in May.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:10 AM

For a list of activities visit www.nevis1com that website will tell you everything you need to know about what to see and do - more information there than can be written in 100 posts on this forum.

Best Restaurants:

Montpelier - quiet romantic setting over;looking the Caribbean and the lights of neighboring St. Kitts with some of the best food on the island.

Coconut Grove - good food, wonderful setting on the beach, some say it's a bit pricey.

Great House at Nisbet - good food, very attentive service.

Mount Nevis Hotel - surprisingly good food - relaxed atmoshpere, nice service. You can linger here over coffe & dessert whithout being rushed.

Double Deuce - beach bar location with good food. Run by former chef at Montpelier

Hermitage - family run inn where owners are real "foodies" - that says it all.

Gallipot - casual dining at this very popular restaurant serving steaks, seafood and other local favorites. Try their Sunday brunch for tradition Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding.

Four Seasons - has several different dining options ranging from the formal dining room to the casual Mangos - on the expensive side.

Bananas - very good upscale dining with an imaginative menue

Seafood Madness - as the name implies go here for local seafood in a casual setting.

Old Manor - good place for a quiet dinner with decent food

Golden Rock Inn - the new chef prepares some very interesting and tasty meals.

Oualie Beach - this place gets mixed reviews for dinner - they lost their head chef earlier this year and are still trying to "find their way" - some nights it's good and other nights it's just OK.

For casual "beach bar" type dining try any of the following:

Sunshines
Chevy's
Shirleys
Sunset Beach Bar
Pizza Beach

Also for pizza there's Mem's - try their lobster pizza for a real treat.

If you like barbequed ribs and chicken check out the Water Department cookout on Friday nights - they have some of the best ribs in the Caribbean.

Finally, take your choice of any of the 5 Chinese Restaurants if you want filling but inexpensive meals.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Do you happen to know where Jason, the chef at Oualie Beach relocated to? We enjoyed visiting with him during our stay at Oualie Beach a couple years ago.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Jason is now living in Dallas, Texas.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Well, I think A_Traveller hit 99% of the restaurants! That is a great list and I'll need to print it out.

One place I would add is Cafe des Arts, a nice cool place downtown. A good place for a cool drink and lunch.

Also, if there are horse races when you're there, go for the races and the barbeque.

Dave
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM
iw

mymoosie: Yes, Jason is in Texas, but assured me that he had trained the staff to prepare food, as he did. I loved any fish that he prepared...tuna, sea bass...YUM! DH loved anything else...ribs, steak.. it was all good. The sides were great, as well.
Are you staying at Oualie? If so, make sure that you have the premier room so that the bathroom is larger...it is worth the upgrade. Vaden and Stacy will take great care of you and if you need a taxi driver, Chip is the Man! The staff is great and it is so cool to walk out of your room and be on the beach. Be aware that cows will come and sip out of the containers that are meant to cleanse your feet before entering the room. Although, not the 4S, I didn't care 2 hoots...It is a great hotel and personable. The waitstaff at the bar/restaurant quickly learn your name and after teaching kids for 183 days, it is always a great time to wind down. I feel like I am at home there.
While in Nevis, wherever you stay, be sure to secure your food in the fridge...as ants are prone to come in to feast. Don't leave anything out!
Jim Johnson is a great person to personalize a hike or tour of your choice, as I mentioned.
Have fun and post a report!!!

Karen
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM
cw

A Traveller's list is terrific.

There is a new restaurant run by Montpelier located at the Botanical Gardens. It is called 1787. It has been well-reviewed. It is open for lunch and dinner.

I'm not sure that Seafood Madness is open right now. It was closed for renovation.

Gallipot is open Thurs.-Sat. for lunch and dinner, and on Sunday for the roast beef buffet lunch.

Bananas and the Coconut Grove are also open for lunch. If you go to Bananas, it's worth getting there before dark to see the view.

We did have lunch at Oualie after Chef Jason's departure. The food was the same as always. Can't comment on the dinners.

We stay at the Hermitage and love the food. On Wednesdays they have a pig roast buffet with about 20 different side dishes, many West Indian. They also have fish, for the non-meat eaters. It's very popular so be sure to have reservations.

Nisbet has a seafood barbecue on Thursday nights at the restaurant on the beach. It's also a nice place for lunch.

It's good to make reservations for dinner at all of the Nevis restaurants.

CW
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Seafood Madness has recently reopened.

Sorry, I inadvertantly left 1787 and Cafe Des Arts off my list. Both are worth a try.

one of the nice things about Nevis is you'll never go hungry.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
iw

Then only restaurant that we didn't like was Seafood Madness. On the street....no view....uh food. My opinion. Could have been an off night....
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:32 PM

I'm glad to hear that Seafood Madness is reopened. They were closed when I drove by two weeks ago. They have the freshest seafood and great preparations. Their location isn't the most romantic but you go for the food. It's also an old standby that has out lasted a lot of short lived restaurants that depend on atmosphere more than cuisine.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:25 AM
iw

Well then Nevisian, I will give it another try on my next visit. Thanks for the update.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM

The places that I think are really worth going to:

Montpelier - eating in the sugar mill is truly unique. Beforehand is like going to a dinner party at a friend's home.

Mango's at the Four Season's had some of the the best dining around.

The Cooperage at the Old Manor House- Not a restaurant that you hear much about. It is our favorite and draws a lot of locals as well as guests to the island. Very tasty food and a great chef. Reservations are something I would recommend.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM

For more info on Nevis visit www.nevisisland.com and www.nevisforum.com

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Well, I think this definitely covers the map and I will be sure to post a trip report with pics when we return.
Thanks again everyone!