Search

Dining in Nevis

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining in Nevis

We're going to be staying at the FS but I'm wondering where else we can eat other than at the resort. Thanks so much in advance!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:45 AM

If you scroll down to the thread about Nisbet Plantation you'll find several of the responses comment on where to eat on Nevis. Also if you use the search feature above for "Nevis restaurants" you'll find hundreds of posts on this subject. Finally, you'll find some unbiased comments about Nevis restaurants at www.nevis1.com

Other than the restaurants at the Four Season Here's a brief summary:

FINE DINING - Montpelier Inn (both the Sugar Mill and the Terrace some say it's the best on the island), Cocnut Grove, Bananas, the Hermitage, Cooperage at the Old Manor, Golden Rock, Mount Nevis Hotel and Nisbet Plantation.

CASUAL DINING - Oualie Beach, Gallipot, Sea Food Madness, Double Douce (also qualifiesas a beach bar - see below), Unella's, Le Bistro, Rumor's, Pemo's, Night Moves, Pizza Beach, The Patio (lunch only), Mem's Pizza and the Teahouse at the Botanical Gardens (lunch only). Plus there's at least 4 or 5 Chineese restaurants in and around Charlestown where you can co for an inexpensive meal.

BEACH BARS - Sunhine's, Chevy's, Golden Rock Beach Club (lunch only), Double Douce, Coconuts (Nisbet's beach bar - lunch only) and Shirley's (may now be closed).

Lastly, there's Miss June's which is in a class by itself. Once or twice a week she "hosts" what amounts to a dinner party for "strangers". You arrive for cocktails then have a buffet style traditional West Indies
Dinner and retire to the drawing room for after dinner drinks and lots of conversation. This is a "different" experience as you dine with 8 or 10 couples family style around a large table. You come as strangers and leave as friends.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Is Eddie's (Eddy's??) still there? We had wonderful fish and chips there a couple years ago.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Eddy's is still there - usually only open on Wednesday's.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. How do you get around - are these places all in walking distance from the resort?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:46 AM

You will need a rental car or taxi to get around to the various restaurants. The only ones within walking distance of the 4S are Sunshine's, Chevy's, Golden Rock Beach and Beach Club - all on the beach a feww hundred yards south of the 4S. Double Douce and Sea Food Madness (on the main road across form where DD is located) are at the far end of Pinney's Beach and technically "walkable" from 4S but it's a long walk - perhaps 1/2 mile.

Nothing else is even remotely close to the 4S.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Oops! That should read "...Golden Rock Beach Club..." not "... Golden Rock Beach Club and Beach Club...".
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM
cw

Hi Meligold,

If you think you'll be exploring Nevis on your own or taking more than two cab rides a day, it would be worth it to rent a car for all or part of your trip.

Otherwise just take a cab to the restaurants and tell the driver about what time to come back for you.

There are more places to eat than you'll have time but we had a great dinner one night at Double Deuce and a delicious lunch at Chevy's. Don't miss Montpelier for dinner either. The Hermitage has a Wednesday night buffet. They roast a pig and have a huge variety of West Indian side dishes along with other entree choices. Call ahead for reservations.

CW
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM

First of all, you're going to love the FS! Our favorite place was the Cooperage at the Old Manor. The chef does a wonderful job and will probably come out and sit with you at the end of the meal. Our second favorite was the Sugar Mill at Montpelier. Very romantic, but very $$$$. Bananas was good. The Hermitage was an interesting experience but be prepared to receive an incorrect order. We went to Nisbit's beach barbecue and my husband was disappointed. Do not mention to the other guests that you are not staying there. Have fun!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM
cw

Hi,

Just wanted to add that four of us have stayed at the Hermitage twice, for a week each time, and have eaten most of our meals there. Never have we had any problems with mistaken food orders, nor (sometimes more importantly) drink orders!

CW
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Roams Around, I was wondering when was the last time you visited Miss June's? I ask because we went about two years ago, and did not have the experience you describe. Miss June cut off the serving of wine during dinner (!) and was not at all available to mingle or chat afterwards. Actually overheard her arguing with the chef. We did make some nice friends at the (delicious) meal though! I am hoping my experience was the exception to the rule, and that it is still as wonderful as you say.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM

joan - I didn't say dining at Miss June's was a wonderful experience I said it was "different". What I was referring to was the fact that you usually dine, family style, with complete strangers and leave at the end of the evening, hopefully having made new friends (but not necessarily as friends with Miss June herself). I've dined there a couple of times over the years, the most recent being about 2 years ago (who knows maybe we were there at the same times as you). Our first experience was enjoyable even though I personally didn't care for the food but subsequent visits were a bit of a bore. After all, dining at Miss Junes is more of an event rather than a meal and we've been there, done that. She's getting on in years and I suspect it's just "not as good as it used to be". I've heard that lately she doesn't always spend time with her guests but can't comment from personal experience as it's been a while since I've actually eaten there.

If you read my posts you'll see I was answering OP's question on where they could eat other than the Four Seasons. OP did not ask for comments as to the quality of food at any restaurant but rather only "Where to eat". OP's second question was how to get around which I also answered. Had Op or someone asked for critical reviews I would have put Miss June's pretty far down on my list of preferred dining spots.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Have a great time in Nevis!

You should visit www.myislands.myeyez.net and www.nevisisland.com
for other dining options.

One of my favourites was Chevy's Beach Bar located a short walk from The Four Seasons.

Be sure to tour the island and maybe do a day trip to St. Kitts.

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 04:17 AM

Roams Around, obviously I ruffled your feathers by using the word "wonderful". Sorry 'bout that!

All that I had read about Miss June's (including your description) IMPLIED that it would be a wonderful experience. I just found it quite different from what was described - and wondered whether your experience was like mine.

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:20 AM

joan - the trouble with writting comments on a forum is certain expressions can often have double or even triple meanings and without the "body language" that is apparent when the same comments are spoken face to face there could be a mis-understanding. My feathers weren't ruffled. We obviously had similar experiences at Miss June's (at least on recent visits) and relating that to others will help them make their decisions on where to eat.

The crux of the issue is Miss June's is a different type of dining experience - pricewise it falls into the category of fine dining but foodwise something is lacking, the dinner party concept is unique but without the enthusiam displayed by Miss June in her younger days (she was a real character) the entire experience is like evening at a "two-bit" carnival - OK if you've never been to a major theme park but certainly nothing to write home about.