Search

Nevis-Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:06 AM
EMM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis-Help

Any recomendations for hotels in Nevis other that the Four Seasons? Is Nevis primarily honeymooners? My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a vacation for us and another couple. We are looking for sun, relaxation, beautiful beaches, etc., things to do at night (not big partiers but we would like to have nice dinners and be able to get a few drinks).
Any other recomendations in the Caribbean would also be appreciated. We are not looking for Sandal Resort type places, but looking for something slightly below Four Seasons level.
Thank you!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Check out The Hermitage on Nevis , very nice and the cost is below F.S.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Sunnyboy

Nevis appeals to all types of people (singles, couples, honeymooners, families, empty nesters, etc.) who are seeking a quiet laid back island. While there is not a lot of nightlife there are plenty of fine restaurants and several places where a person can enjoy an evening out. Go to www.nevis1.com and click on Lodgings for very accurate and unbiased reviews of almost every resort and hotel on Nevis. You will also find info and links on restaurants, activities, nightlife (such as it is) and just about everything a tourist would want to know about Nevis.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:13 PM
EMM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information! We are looking into Nisbet Plantation as well, since I have heard great things about this place. One other question-any recommendations for getting there from NY or Philly. I have heard the best route is a direct flight to San Juan and then a connection to Nevis. But I know there are other options as well. We are willing to connect through another island if it is more resonable.
Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Sunnyboy

Nisbet Plantation is a great resort. I've stayed there several times. You've made a good choice.

At present, for flights from NYC or northern NJ your best bet is to catch an early morning (any day of the week before 7:00AM) non-stop flight to SJU and connect with American Eagle's 1:00PM non-stop to NEV. It will get you to NEV by 2:15PM.

Your other alternative is to fly to St. Maarten (SXM) and connect with Winair's 6:00PM direct flight that will get you into NEV at 6:35PM to NEV. (Note: Winair departure times vary significantly throughout the year.) Plan on at least a couple hours layover in SXM.

From Philly, USAIR flies 2 or 3 times each week non-stop to St. Kitts. From there you you have to take a ferry ($8US PP), charter a boat (about $125 to $150), or charter a plane (not sure of price) to get to NEV. Be forwarned, airline schedules and ferry schedules don't always mesh very well for easy connections so you might end up spending the night in SKB.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:43 AM
EMM
Original Poster

Thank you, this is helpful information! I have been quoted pricing that included breakfast & dinner and also without What do you recommend? Traditionally I would rather explore other restaurants on the island vs. an all inclusive, but not sure what it is like in Nevis.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Sunnyboy

That's purely a personal choice but if you decide to not to take the meal plan you will have to factor in the cost of a rental car or taxi fares as there are no restaurants within walking distance of Nisbet. By the way, Nisbett's meal plan is MAP not All Inclusive (you have to pay for drinks).

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:34 AM
EMM
Original Poster

So do you think it is very difficult to explore the island if we do rent a car?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM

We stayed at Nisbet and got a package that gave us two days (I think) with a jeep. That was perfect. We went to other beaches on one day, and then went up to Golden Rock and the Arboretum on another the other day. The rest of the time we stayed on property and had a great time. The meals, btw, are amazing.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:19 AM

I was wondering what the beach is like at Nisbeth. I have read a few reviews stating it was rocky and not very good for swimming? Can someone give me their opinion? Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:36 AM

The Nisbet beach is fine, but not spectacular. It's on the tip of the island, where the Atlantic comes in, so it's a little windy and can be a little choppy for snorkelling. But it's fine for splashing around and strolling. I remember large stretches without rocks.
I liked Oalie Beach and Lover's Beach, which are close by but on the Carib. side and thus calmer. Pinney's Beach is also nice. But none of these beaches are like the ones found on places like Anguilla, St. John, and other places known for their white sand beaches and crystal blue water.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM
EMM
Original Poster

I thought I read a posting that said that the beaches at Nisbet are one of the best on the islands even possibly better than the Four Seasons? Is the beach not a sandy beach? How far are those other beaches you mention. I know many hotels are not on the beach but a 15 min. drive. That is why Nisbet seemed more appealing since it had it's own beach. Thoughts?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM

EMM,
It's a white, sandy beach (as I remember)at Nisbet and Pinney's beach (4 Seasons) is more of a golden color. There is also a reef at Nisbet which is good for snorkeling (and I don't think there's much snorkeling at Pinney's). But it can be a little windy at times at Nisbet, and the water isn't as calm as it is at Pinney's. People who like to lay out in the sun do that as much at the pool area as the beach. There's a nice beach bar where you can have lunch. I definitely agree that it is great to be on the beach, rather than have to shuttle to a "beach club" somewhere else -- that's why we chose Nisbet.

We loved our week at Nisbet. I think it's the best all-around place that the island has, taking into account price, food, location, friendly staff, packages available. Get a jeep for two or three days to explore the island: other beaches (Oalie and Lovers Beach are only 5-10 minutes by car, max), the rain forest hike at Golden Rock to see the monkeys, Pinney's Beach and Sunshine's, the arboretum, go play golf at 4 Seasons. Take a snorkeling charter (leaves from the 4 Seasons, Nisbet can arrange it) over to St. Kitts for a day. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to spend every day on the Nisbet Beach, but if you have other activities, you won't have to.

But also remember, there is not much to do at night -- especially low season. It is a very laid-back island.

You can e-mail other questions (I have a few pictures) to me directly at:
[email protected]
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 01:20 AM

Dear Jimc

Thank you for your informative posting, we too are thinking of going to Nisbet in 2005, would it be possible to email me your photos of the place & also where is the best place to rent a car/jeep from & are they automatic?
My email is [email protected]
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:34 AM
Sunnyboy

The staff as Nisbet will gladly arrange a rental car for you and will have it delivered to the hotel. The cars are all automatic transmissions. You can request sedans, 2 door or 4 door 4WD SUV's like Suzukis or larger SUV's if you want. You will need to get a temporary Nevis driver's license. The car rental company can do this for you or you can get it at the Newcastle police station right down the road from Nisbet (I think it costs around $35 to $40 US and is good for 3 months).

If you check out the web-site I mentioned in my earlier response to EMM under Activities you'll find links to photos of all the beaches on Nevis (including Nisbet) and under Lodgings you find links to the Nisbet web-site which has very accurate pictures of the resort and its beach.

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM

I would not stay at Nisbit . I think the other side of the island is much nicer and more to do . I would rent a villa on stay at the Montpieler Plantation . we stayed at a beuatiful villa in the rainforest overlooking the Ocean called Seceret Garden . It is perfect for two couples becauase one of the bedrooms is in a different building . You are close to town and the four seasons beach which has the best beach bar next to it called Sunshines . There is also another villa across from Mountpeiler Plantation called Amazing Grace that has great views . You can find them both on line . You would not be didsapointed . You will need a car on Nevis anyway and you can explore other options .