Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend Airline to Nevis besides American?

Notices

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in NYC and would like to avoid American Airlines and San Juan. I just read about the eight person who's flight was cancelled both ways. Please help with this. Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:33 PM

We're flying Continental from EWR, connecting through Antigua. Not sure who the carrier is from Antigua to Nevis.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Sunnyboy

American actually has the best "scheduled" connections from NYC to Nevis but because the NEV airport is small and currently lacks an instrument approach rating the pilots must use VFR approach so bad weather can delay or cancel in and out flights.

To avoid American and SJU your best route is to fly into St. Martin and catch a flight on Winair to Nevis - go to www.fly-winair.com for schedule and fare information.

Another alternative is fly into Antigua and catch a LIAT flight to Nevis - go to www.liatairline.com for fares and scheduling infomation. I'm not sure if you can get to Antigua non-stop or even direct from NYC - I think you might have to change planes in Miami to get to Antigua and schedules may not allow you to do it in one day.

Lastly, you might see if taking USAir into St. Kitts will work for you. From there you can take the ferry (40 minute trip) to Nev or catch a Winair flight to Nev (7 minutes). Here again, coming from NYC you may end up changing planes in Charlotte or making several one or two stops on the way to St. Kitts.

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I dont know if I should hope for the best and leave it as is or try one of the other suggestions. Im not going until June so I have alittle time.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Sunnyboy

For what it is worth LIAT and Winair have their share of delays (LIAT is affectionally know as Leave Island Any Time or Luggage In Any Terminal) and there's no way to predict what will happen on the day you fly. Delays are common with just about all the island hopper airlines - no one is immune. I travel regularly to the Caribbean and make most of my connections through SJU on American Eagle and find them to be fairly reliable. I've personally made flights from SJU to Nev on American Eagle and SXM to NEV on Winair numerous time and encountered more delays on Winair than American Eagle. If I were you, I'd check out all the alternatives and then choose the routing that gives you the most efficient connections and gets you "on-island" as early as possible.