St. Thomas tickets in June $550+?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister is going to work at an ecotourism resort on St. John for the month of July. We can't find tickets lower than $550. Is it because she is staying for a month? Any ideas on where to search??
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:16 PM

AA is having a huge sale right now and I noticed St Thomas was only $250 - $300 through July.

Check their website - aa.com
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM

The AA sale ends June 15 from what I can tell.
I'm looking to travel June 20-27 - hoping to catch another sale.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:50 AM

Hi,I am also going to work for the same ecotourism resort on St John but for the month of August.
I found tickets on US Air for $467 RT and that was out of Albany,NY...
They seem to have the lowest fares.I would think since summer is low season for the Virgin Islands the airfares should stay down in price and maybe even go down further as soon as 'high' season is over...End of April...beginning of May. Where is she flying out of??
Please ask your sis to write a review on her experience when she returns!!
I'd be excited to hear about it...
Debbie
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Oops, yes you are right. The sale does end June 15.

Anyhoo, don't worry. There will definitely be another airfare sale.

$550 is WAY too high for tickets during June. It may be because she is stayong for a month. Go to the sale now and check the restrictions on the current sale and see if it says anything about 30 day travel and return. I know that it sometimes a restriction.

We can usually get tickets to STT from Raleigh for $275 to $350 on sale, so I think you should wait for the next airafe sale (in March or April).
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:54 AM
cdt

We also fly from Albany and $467 is about as good as it gets, with very rare exceptions. Should be less from larger airports (e.g. Newark, JFK, Boston).
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:59 AM

CDT, Right now on US Air you can get Albany,NY to St Thomas for $357.00 RT thru April.Great Deal!! I would love to take advantage of that price! But I have to save to August...
Debbie
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 04:15 AM

We've been to St. John 3 times during the summer months and it is always more expensive airfare. I think because it is low season they run fewer flights. Also, St. John's "carnivale" is July 4 and anything around that time seems to be even more expensive, hence the end of the AA sale June 15.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM

I"m looking at June now and a lot of the villas I'm considering are booking right up until then. I'm concerned about waiting until an airfare sale to book the villa but it is also scary to book the villa and hope the airfare is more reasonable. I just hate spending as much on airfare as I do on a villa for a week.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:59 AM

Cartera,I always wait to get my Air Tickets first,then I look for what's available. I've got some pretty good deals in the past (last minute) and feel comfortable doing this.
I too don't like spending a fortune on airfare.I know from where I live it can get as high as $800 RT!! No way...I'll find the dates that have the reduced fares then find a place to stay.
Just my own preference...
Debbie
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:48 AM

I am also trying to find reasonable airfare from NJ to St Thomas. I looked at the sale for AA and the reason it is that cheap is because it takes up like 15 hours of travel time between the connections, waiting, etc. That is ridiculous! US Air is the same thing and they offer overnight flights for cheaper. But, I checked Continental and it is about $600 pp for RT and the flight there is direct and the flight coming back only stops in San Juan and you dont have to wait all day for your connecting flight. So, is that a good deal or what? Should I wait? I dont want to take 3 connecting flights or anything...I can deal with one if I have to but I would prefer direct. Does anyone have advice? Cheaper websites or should I wait? Do they lower the prices?
Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:38 AM

That comment about aa was right on. I still don't know where the original poster is flying from, but $550 is a great price from here in Michigan. So good that we took it for a flight back to STT in late July. It's with United and gives us a decent flight schedule, with no long layovers or overnight stays. Couldn't get around that anymore with aa without paying a lot...but again, that's from MI.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:49 AM

TLK879,Did you end up finding a good airfare to St Thomas from Newark??
Did your sister need her ticket by March 1st?? I need to purchase mine by April 1st and right now it's $497 RT for August....
Just wondering how things turned out for you...
Debbie
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Sorry,The above note was suppose to be for diazkris...
Debbie
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Hey guys! Travelocity has tickets to St Thomas for $469.00!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:55 AM

My husband and I got great rates for STT in August out of Albany (granted it is the beginning of hurricane season, but we've never had a problem before- knock on wood!). We got our tickets for $359 round trip. You just have to keep checking. We went through expedia.com and have always found lower prices there. We tend to find the best prices for Tuesday to Tuesday flying.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Wow,Zach,$359 RT out of Albany,NY is a fantastic price! Wish I could find something that low!
I'll be there August 4-September 3...
Right now it's $497 RT on US Air. Not bad but if a better price comes up I'm going to grab it!
Debbie
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:24 AM
cdt

Another consideration is how far out you want to book USAir. I believe their new loan deadline is sometime in June.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM

cdt,Does that mean US Air may not be in business after June?? Is there a strong possibility they might go under? I know this past May people were saying it was a matter of weeks before US Air would go under and they didn't..obviously.
I would not like them to go under and be left with a worthless ticket...an e-ticket at that!
Should I purchase a paper ticket? Will that protect me? A Credit Card would work if I purchase within 60 days of my dates.
I don't want to get stuck...
Debbie
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM
cdt

There are some discussions in Fodors' "Airlines" forum about what happens if you're holding a ticket on an airline that shuts down. Other airlines may give you seats, but there are limitations.

Nobody knows what will happen with USAir. They were "on the verge" in January but got an extension. Maybe they'll go under; maybe they'll be around for decades.

My view is that I would rather take a chance with a USAir ticket to a domestic destination than to a Caribbean airport, where there would be fewer alternatives.

We booked a Mexico trip (from Albany) last Oct., for Feb., and at that time I was reluctant to use USAir. Turns out it would have been fine. We flew Delta instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -