Nevis/Bugs

Sep 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Nevis/Bugs

Curious to hear about bugs from anyone who has been to the Four Seasons Nevis in March. How serious is the mosquito problem in March? I've read some pretty heavy complaints about the issue on tripadvisor, but not sure if it's seasonal. On this board, the problem looks less serious. My biggest concern is the number of postings who say it's a "typical" level of mosquito problems for the Carribean -- that's hard for me to gauge as I don't know what's typical. For example, New Hampshire lakeside in May is pretty terrible, I'm assuming we aren't talking about a problem that bad?

FWIW, I've been to Curtain Bluff in Antigua in March many times and never noticed mosquitos at all (I don't think I ever saw one). I've heard that location doesn't have the kind of mosquito problems that other Carribean areas have, not sure if that's true or if I have nothing to worry about. We went to Grand Cayman in April once, and noticed mosquitos in a few areas but didn't find them intolerable.

My wife will hate it if we're regularly slapping bugs, so trying to figure out if this is the place for us.
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Mosquitos on Nevis (as on any Caribbean Island) are a function of the amount of rain and breeze rather than time of year. They are more prevellant after prolongued periods of wet weather and during periods when breezes are light or even "still". There are also move active at dusk on the beach than they are during the day or later into the evening. All that being said, I've visited Nevis often in March and never had a problem with mosquitos. Obviously, if it happens to rain heavily for a few days before your arrival and the breezes are calm there's a chance you'll encounter a few mosquitos but if there happens to be typical March weather you should be fine.
Sep 5th, 2006, 01:59 PM
iw

We have been in June and July to Nevis, so I am not sure about March. I found a clear roll-on repellant that worked wonderfully while in Nevis. If you apply it before going out, there is not an issue. Strangely enough, we were not bothered in St. Kitts, but experienced a problem in St. Martin.
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:38 PM

We were at the Four Seasons Nevis in February and never noticed any mosquitos. I wouldn't make your decision based on Trip Advisor. I took a big can of bug spray with me because of reading the same thing over there and by the second day realzing I didn't need it, I asked someone at one of the restaurants and they told me they don't have any kind of bug problem until it gets really warm in April and May. It had rained for almost a week before we got there and it rained one day out of the week we were there. By March, you are getting closer and rain can change conditions, but I think you will be ok. Many upscale resorts spray and I have to believe the FS does as they don't want peoples lives to be miserable during their stay there.
Sep 6th, 2006, 08:45 AM

They spray for mosquitos at the FS, I have never had a problem while on the property. And as someone mentioned mos. are from rain / wind not really time of year. You should be fine.
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I am one of those people mosquitos just seem to eat alive and I am bothered much more in my wooded backyard than anywhere in the Caribbean. Been to many islands in the March, April timeframe (including Nevis) and the only place I ever had a slight issue with bugs was Turks and Caicos.