Search

Negril Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negril Restaurants

We are going to Negril in a few weeks. Looking for suggestions on restaurants - all types especially seafood and local Jamaican fare.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:47 AM

My all time fave is CHICKEN LAVISH, one of the oldest restaurants in Negril. It's on the West End ( cliff road) on the side not facing the beach. They serve some of the best fried chicken we've ever had. Plus Jamaican specialities like conch soup, and fresh fruit drinks. Really worth a visit.

We also like SWEET SPICE on the road to the left of town as you head into the shopping area. Lots of good, local Jamaican food.

And again on the WEST END, two places: ROCK HOUSE which has a gorgeous setting on the rocks over the water. Go at sunset to enjoy their delicious fruit drinks and have dinner from a very eclectic menu ranging from curried dishes to fish, and standard
Jamaican fare. They will arrange transfers from many hotels so check to see if yours is one of them.

Second place on the WEST END: THREE DIVES, basic place on the beach side of the road where they cook chicken or lobster in a black cauldron set up in a tiny house on the beach. You eat at picnic style benches. It's cheap and delicious.

Lastly, across from the hotel IDLE AWHILE, really excellent jerk chicken at BEST OF THE WEST. Drop by for lunch if you're on the beach anywhere near there!
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 07:06 AM

We've also eaten at Rock House, the setting is lovely and we got picked up from our hotel on the beach but paid for the taxi for the return journey. We also ate at Ivan's at Catcha a falling star, again another lovely setting and good menu. On the beach we ate in numerous places, we walked at night along the beach to Kuyaba which was also very nice.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Jamaican fare: Sweet Spice (nearish the round-about in town) is very good. Also Ras Rody's (a roadside stand out on the cliffs, opposite the gates of Tensing Pen) is an 'ital' place with cheap, fresh, excellent food to go.

Seafood: Canoe at Mary's Bay, Sips & Bites on the cliffs (their 'steamed fish plate' is ta die for), and anything Juliet's cooking that evening at Sharks (also cliffs, in behind Ras Rodys).

Ivan's at Catcha is great for a fancier meal. It's a lovely restaurants in a beautiful garden setting. More expensive than any others I've mentioned but very very nice.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 05:08 PM

A few others recommended today in the travel section of a New York paper, none of which I've been to:

ERICA's- for jerk chicken

THE LODGE AT TENSING PEN - on the cliff road

DE BAR- for bbq and jerk chicken

HUNGRY LION

and, for a bar shack in the sea:

FLOYD'S PELICAN BAR- have to get a ride there on a boat! (floydspelicanbar.com)

Lastly, a place to AVOID:

MARGARITAVILLE on the beach- worst pizza and most inedible food I've ever had in Negril

Hve fun!
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions!!! They all sound wonderful!

I figured Margaritaville would not be good and a tourist trap.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Also, stay away from Rick's Cafe! Even though it is highly touristy, it isn't worth the trip IMO. Definitely check out Ivan's at Catcha and the Blue Mahoe and the Spa Retreat (both on the cliffs).

On the beach, I second Best of the West for lunch. Kuyaba has a cool atmosphere; I've been there for breakfast and dinner and both were good. For an awesome breakfast, try the banana pancakes at Country Country!

If you are staying on the beach, don't pass up the vendors. The patty man with the bicycle has cheap and awesome patties, and Dean the jerk pork guy with the aluminum box has great (but spicy)food. He raises his own pigs.

Enjoy! I still have to wait til May to get back there!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 07:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ooh the post above reminds me... banana bread from a beach vendor.

The restaurant at Tensing Pen was nice enough (friends were staying there so I ate there several times) but I thought Ivan's was better overall (service, atmosphere, food).

Charela Inn on the beach has a good restaurant, a little pricier than other but nice. Some nights with dance/music shows.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:01 PM

We had an excellent breakfast at COCO LA PALM, which is where we typically stay. Good pancakes, great banana bread and Jamaican coffee. They also serve a decent lunch from the bar grill- bbq chicken, jerk chicken, etc. AVOID DINNER there, though. Many better places to eat!