Negril Excursions?

Aug 8th, 2002, 10:19 AM
joyce

Negril Excursions?

my husband and i are staying at the grand lido negril resort next week and were wondering what some good off-property excursions would be fun? i don't want to spend too much time traveling, though. is there anything fairly close? we were told about a butterfly farm-does anyone know anything about it? thanks in advance for helpful input!

Aug 8th, 2002, 10:55 AM
curt

Joyce
The resort will offer a broad selection of trips you can choose from. We were at Sandals Negril and they offered a variety of tours/excursions both in the immediate Negril area as well as further out. We did do the Dunn's River Falls trip, and while it took the whole day we enjoyed it and though it was worth the time and nominal cost. Locally you could either use the resort or just have them call a taxi and go over to Ricks for the sunset and cliff diving (fun thing to do), go to the local duty free shops at Times Square, visit the craft markets, etc.

There is also a newer craft market right on the highway just outside the main gate of Lido that has several shops. You could walk over there (we walked there from Sandals which is just up the road from Lido).

Anyway, have fun. Wish I was there right now drinking a hummingbird and sunning on seven mile beach!

Aug 8th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Curious

Hi Joyce, I don't have any ideas for you because our trip is not for four months, but we are staying at the same AI you and your hubby are. Will you give us a trip report when you get back????? Just use Joyce again so I know it's you, I am excited for you! Enjoy!

Aug 8th, 2002, 02:05 PM
tivertonhouse

Joyce:For a decidedly more 'local' and less 'touristic' guide, call our good friend ANDREA TOMLINSON at 1.876.371-0976 in Belmont/Bluefields when or before you arrive. Though she'll be taking care of transfers and excursions for honeymoon guests of ours at SEA RANCH COTTAGE next week, she may well have time available to take you touring -- way beyond the resort guides' services and knowledge. A marine biologist and tilapia farmer/shrimper, she'll know how to show you more off-tbe-beaten-track...Andrea is at andreatom9[email protected] but she'll often be out on private tours with guests so try her ny phone early (7-8 am) or 7-8pm in evening. Leave message if necessary. Within one hour of Negril there's much to explore, within 2 far far more... tell her we recommended her to you.

Aug 8th, 2002, 04:18 PM
tivertonhouse

JOYCE:A SHORTLIST

Negril Palm Conservatory-you can do by yourselves. The in-town craft markets can be pricey, with persistent salesman/womanship.Check out the grocery stories for often startling gifts, spices, etc. You may find more discoveries outside Negril ,say, silver by Oral Kerr and carvings by Jerry MacDonald in Belmont/Bluefields amidst some funky roadside rum shops and local fish/landcrab/jerk stands;Bob Art in Darliston, and Sir William Fielding at Oristano House/Bluefields, painter and watercolorist,painters;a roadside place called Jamali's in Whitehouse for calabash gourd bags -- plus
Black River/YS Falls
Blue Hole Gardens/Roaring River
Font Hill Sanctuary/Scott's Cove and Culloden Cafe in Whitehouse
Paradise Park/horseback,Taino
archaeology digs near Sav
and all the likkle shops and roadside sellers in-between. Start EARLY in day, plan for lunch en road and getaway...

Aug 9th, 2002, 06:15 AM
joyce

thanks tivertonhouse! i'm going to look into this. i can't wait to go, it's hard to get any work done! curious, i will post a trip report, but in the meantime, you might want to check out the "grand lido visitors site", not sure of the address, but just enter that at google.com and it will come up, there are a few trip reprorts on there and the people on it will answer your questions. i switch between here and there. Enjoy!

Aug 27th, 2002, 11:32 AM
JustWondering...

Joyce.........how was it???

Aug 27th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Kim

I have an excursions sheet just email me.

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:56 AM
joyce

it was wonderful! we didn't end up leaving the resort at all, though. it was the most relaxing time we've ever had. we enjoyed laying out on the beach and drinking the fruit punch served to us by the nicest waitstaff i've encountered. when we filled out the comment card at the end of the trip, there were so many names of people (who greeted us everyday by our names, etc) who made our trip special that we had to run over. there were a lot of younger people there (we're in our late 20s) so we hung out in some of the bars with each other at night. the food was great-especially the grand gala on friday, with grilled shrimp and tons of fish. we ate at the french restaurant and the food and service were superb. i know some people complain about the food, but i thought it was wonderful. the room service menu isn't that great, but they're working on it, and with so many other choices, you won't miss it. try a dirty banana to drink-they're awesome. if you have any specific questions that i can answer, just let me know. sorry i'm rambling, but i'm still in deep depression about having to be back at work...enjoy!

Aug 29th, 2002, 10:26 AM
HiJoyce

Hi there Joyce - glad your trip was great! Was the resort clean? Was it quiet? How did you like your room, one post earlier asked if they should get a patio or higher level room, which do you think is better for a great view?

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
joyce

hi! yes, the resort was clean-they're constantly working on the grounds and the maids come at least twice a day. one day, we accidentally left the do not disturb sign up and housekeeping called around 3 to see if we were okay or needed new towels or anything. the resort is quiet-we stayed on the textile side in room 1024. i highly reccomend staying on the bottom floor, beachfront, rooms around 1001-1030. you can walk straight out to the beach from your back door. and you can sit on the porch and have a great view of the ocean and palms. i think the beach on the textile side is far prettier than the one on the nudie side. it's beautiful-i can still picture that view in my mind! the one thing i would say is not to leave any food in your room as there are ants who seem to detect it immediately. but, that happens anywhere.