Negril - Cliffs to avoid spring breakers?

Jan 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Negril - Cliffs to avoid spring breakers?

My H and I will be honeymooning in Jamaica mid to late March. I had been planning to stay at Idle Awhile for three nights and then move to Rock House for three nights, but given that it is spring break should we change to just Rock House.

While we will want to visit the beach I understand it is an inexpensive cab ride from Rock House so we could always go via taxi, but then retire to the quiet of Rock House. We're not anti-fun by any stretch but I'd hate to have our romantic evenings (and sleep) ruined by loud partying.

What do you think? I have heard that Idle Awhile doesn't attract a lot of spring breakers - so maybe it's worth it to stay there??

Also - if we do decide just to visit the beach for day trips, is it true that if we dine at Idle Awhile's restuarant (Chill Awhile), we will have access to their beachfront and chairs? This might be a good option if the beach is really crowded.

Thanks very much!
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
cdw

We went 2 years ago in March and I had the same concerns. We split time between a resort next door to Idle (Coco LaPalm) & then went to Rock House for a few more days (4 nights @ each). We had a wonderful time and we dislike the spring break crowds too. However, it was never an issue. I do not know if we just got lucky, but I liked the fact that it felt like two separate vacations in one.
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM

It's not an inexpensive ride to go back and forth from Rock House. It will cost you about $30 US roundtrip. I really doubt very much that you'll have a problem if you stay at Idle Awhile. It's a quiet resort that caters mostly to couples and very few families, and it's on the best part of Negril's famous beach.

Most of the spring breakers we've seen in many visits to Negril stay at the many smaller and cheaper properties either on the beach or set back on the inland roads from the cliffs. Because the beach is one of the longest in the Caribbean, it's easy to escape them if you really need to, especially if you walk down past COUPLES ( opposite direction to town).

When you book at Idle Awhile, I'd definitely make it clear to them that you're on your honeymoon and looking for a quieter room. There are some rooms that face a small garden between Idle Awhile and Coco, and these can get noisy at night.

Jan 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM

I forgot to add that on past visits, Rock House offered a complimentary bus shuttle that took guests back and forth from Negril hotels to Rock House for dinner. I don't know if this shuttle is also offered back and forth to the beach, but it might be worth checking out.
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:49 AM

We are staying at Rockhouse in early March. Any suggestions for activities besides sitting by the pool or going to the beach. My wife is pregnant - so I guess they can't be too strenuous.
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Hello,
2 years ago I was "one of those spring breakers" in Negril...stayed next door to the Rock House...we weren't the "loud and annoying party type". But it's not expensive at all for a cab ride to the beach..and it's so big it's easy to find your own spot!

Rock House is GORGEOUS!!! We had dinner there.
And also, if you're out on the cliffs, you HAVE to go to Rick's Cafe. It's great food and just a great time to relax. Check their website early and see what nights music is playing!
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I ended up booking us 1/3 of the time at Idle Awhile on the beach (one bedroom, ocen view room) and the rest of the time at Rock house in a Premium Villa. I can't wait. We will definitely be visiitng Rick's! I've also heard Sips n' Bites is worth a visit and Norma's is great for dinner. Any other suggestions? Does anyone know if there is a sunset cruise in Negril?

Thanks!
Jan 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Some other restaurants to try:

THREE DIVES- very unpretentious restaurant on the cliffs, where lobster and chicken are grilled to order.

CHICKEN LAVISH-*** Our absolute favorite place in Negril! Also very unpretentious place on the cliffs, but has some of the best fried chicken and homemade soups ( try the conch soup, it's out of this world!) that you'll ever have in your entire life. We always stop there first when we get to Negril BEFORE checking into the hotel. That's how good it is!

Now about NORMA'S... We have tried this place several times and have never understood why people think it's SOOOO good. It has a beautiful spot right on the beach, so maybe that's part of the reason, but the food was nothing special and the service, even by Jamaican standards was TERRIBLE, and that was after we had a drink or two! So if you go, please post back and let me know what you think!
Jan 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM

I forgot to post about BEST OF THE WEST, a wonderful jerk chicken stand that is directly across the street from IDLE AWHILE!
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
cdw

I agree in that you have to try the jerk stand right across the street from Idle. Also, as you face the water, if you walk a hundred yards or so to the left, there is a good Italian food place. There is a short (green?) picket fence around the patio area. They had good pasta. Coco LaPalm's restaurant is not too bad.
Jan 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Coco has a pretty good breakfast, especially the outstanding banana bread. There's also decent chicken w rice/beans served for lunch at the Coco bar on the beach.