need vacation help for single mom friend

Jan 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

need vacation help for single mom friend

A co-worker of mine is a single mom with an eight year old son. She would like to have a vacation that is safe for them, would like snorkeling and nice beach a must. Her budget is $2000-$2500, for everything, air, hotel etc.I know this is not much to work with, but I am asking the experts. Maybe she could stay less nights and save there??? Need help.
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:40 AM

you didn't say from where or how long. that said i suggest she tries TNT Vacations (charter trips) with Riveria Maya, Mex. as destination. they do charter air. then a hotel van picks you up. and once at the resort you would not NEED to leave = safety. ( the beaches have federales on them so they are Very safe.) and the trips can come in fairly cheaply.
i know little about the bahamas except that the air should be cheaper because it is so close to US.
dominican republic is a less expensive island but not altogether sure about safety issues there...
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM

I too am a single mom and I took my daughter to Negril a couple of years ago and we loved it. The nice thing is that we didn't have to get into a car the entire time. There were plenty of great and cheap restaurants just a short walk away. We stayed at Coco La Palm and were well taken care of. She may be able to get a package within her budget. If not there, Rondel Village is nice and a little cheaper as is White Sands. The beach is great - the water calm and safe - and there are plenty of boats around for snorkeling trips to the reef.
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. Have looked at tntvacations and Coco La Palm. Think Cancun or Negril might be good for her. Any other suggestions still appreciated.
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM

I would check out several sites that sell packages such as travelbyjen.com, libertytravel.com, or applevacations.com, it sounds as though the price may be the main driving factor. Where would she be departing from?
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Price is a big factor for her as would be for some single moms and I think most of us can figure out the main reason. We live in the metro-detroit area. Thanks
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM

From Detroit I would sugesst also checking with Spirit Air Vacations, they have a hub in Detroit and maybe able to offer very good fairs to where they fly, as an example you could fly to Cancun from Detroit (leaving on 7/17 and returning on 7/24) and stay at an all inclusive resort near Plays del Carmen for less than $2000, however, I would seriously suggest that you check out each hotel before buying a trip, from the quick look I took the reorts for less than 2000 were listed as 2-star, whereas for $2500 there were many 3- and some 4-star resorts listed. You also need to consider when/where they'll be going versus the weather there. For example Mexico is very hot in July, and there is a very slight chance of a Hurricane disrupting the vacation. I wouldn't personally let a hurricane slow me down, but to each there own.

Anyway I would stick with spiritair.com, or travelbyjen.com, or libertytravel.com, or applevacations.com, or TNT, or similar.

I'm certain you can find what you are looking for.
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:54 AM

also take a look at vacmart.com

try using their best bargains tab
Jan 27th, 2005, 11:53 AM

I have seen messages from the folks on the message board at www.negril.com about how cheap it is to fly from Detroit to Montego Bay. You might want to post there. I know they like USA3000, www.funjet.com and www.worryfreevacations.com. Out of curiosity, I put in Coco La Palm in July at worryfree and got a price for 7 nights, air and hotel of $1650 - including trip insurance. That was without tweaking the system on cheaper flying days.
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Aruba is a very safe destination. We stayed at the Marriott and had a great time. I know Aruba offers packages all the time especially in the summer when the eight year old is out of school.
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Vacation packages may NOT be the way to go. Although you may end up paying a single supplement (your son is a child so would be free at most hotels)... you should check out the package and then the individual pieces seperately.
Also, remember, traveling midweek to midweek can save money, as well as those off peak (but still in season) weeks) such as May or early June.

Maybe even a 4 nite Stay at Comfort Suites on Paradise Island, which would give access to the Atlantis for 1/2 the price during an off peak season. Even thought the bahamas are considered expensive to eat, there are plenty ways to stretch those dollars. Especially with an 8 year old.