Reload this Page >

need two places in Negril

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:13 AM
leeann

Hi we are thinking of booking the RockHouse for a wedding on Nov.21- 25 2002-for us and 25- 30 guests.<BR>I've got a few questions-<BR>1. I've read that the studios aren't that great- but they don't have enough villias for everyone- do you think they are ok or just bad?<BR>2. They don't have rooms open for the whole week so we would like to stay and have some beach time- can anyone suggest other great beach hotels fo the second half of our trip??<BR>3. does the Rockhouse have beaches at all or is it difficult to get to the beach if some people want to go?<BR>4. the AI's seem to expensive for some of our guests, but seem "saver" meaning they have all the resorty stuff, I'm worried I'll be stressed if I take them to this kind of place-not so traditional. We are in our late 30's most of us- but my parents are coming - late 50's and very used to traveling very well- should I put them up some where else??<BR>If anyone has any advise thanks in advance.<BR>oh it the weather gererally good in late Nov.?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:26 AM
beach lover

hi leeann, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!<BR><BR>i have stayed at the rockhouse several times but have never stayed in or seen the studios. they are fairly new though, they were under construction in '99 i think, and i hear some of those units have a/c, which is a good thing (the villas don't)<BR><BR>i can tell you though that the beach is NOT nearby, you must take a taxi to the 7 mile beach, a short 5 minute ride away.<BR><BR>it is a beautiful location and one of the times i was there, there was a wedding and the restaurant seemed a perfect fit for the size you're talking about.<BR><BR>i hear you about your concerns about not using an AI though... there is not much to do at the rockhouse although i find lounging by the pool (where they also serve grilled lunches & drinks) is a great way to spend the day!<BR><BR>if you like the look of the rockhouse, have you checked out tensing pen, or villas sur mer?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:31 AM
cayman420

you might check into the "cliffs" hotel, it is w/in walking distance to the rock house and that way you wont have family too close. They have a sister property on the beach and have full use of the beach ect....they used to have a water shuttle for the guests.<BR>It's a moderate property. The pickled parrott next door to rickhouse is great<BR>for cocktails and burgers.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:08 AM
bUdNiP

The parrott is closed.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:18 AM
goo

too bad pickled parrot is closed, it's it sitting vacant?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 12:15 PM
bUdNiP

Yup,pretty much setting vacant.Rumor has it that it may reopen at some point.<BR>Don't know when.I guess "soon come".

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:26 PM
d motl

We spent two weeks in Negril in 00 &01.<BR>We compiled a brouchure of handy stuff for the first timer to know. If you want we can e-mail it to you on request. Dan and Ginny

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:09 PM
kwfrancis

I was in Negril July 4, 2002. I stayed at Charela Inn. It is in the middle of the 7 mile beach and within walking distance of other hotels, restaurants and clubs. It has 49 rooms and is right on the beach. It is family owned - Jamaica/French. There is a restaurant that serves 5 course meals. While there I had lobster thermidor, grilled lobster and escovitch fish for dinner. You can see the water while you eat. Also the rooms were very clean. I have stayed at the Grand Lido in Negril and did not feel like the rooms were clean or the food that spectacular. Also Charela is near - within walking distance - Margaritaville, Alfreds, Da Bus or Risky Business. These places all have "beach parties" with a band every night. Enjoy Negril - I wish I was going again!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:15 PM
Anita

I second the vote for the Charela. Wonderful, caring owners, very clean rooms w/ pretty blue-tiled bathrooms (including bidets) and great rates. You will probably see those tiny sand ants in the bathroom. It's not an issue of cleanliness . . . they are just a staple of caribbean bathrooms I think.<BR><BR>Anyway, it's right on the beach, it has a lovely small pool that is always clean and sparkling, and the food at the restaurant there is wonderful. A nice continental breakfast is included. The place just has so much charm. It's the real jewel on Negril's 7-mile beach. My husband and I have wonderful memories of sitting on our balcony overlooking the water, drinking our "badana naquiris" while watching the afternoon storm pass. The only down side to staying anywhere on 7-mile beach is the constant hawking of the vendors. Sometimes the polite no didn't do the trick. You just need to mentally prepare your guests beforehand, particularly if they have never travelled outside of North America or Europe.<BR><BR>Funny but true story . . . our last morning of our trip, we decided to get up early and go for a last dip in the ocean. It was 6:30 in the morning. We are out there having a lovely time and doesn't some vendor swim out to us (!!!) to hold up a ziplock bag of ganja to see if we were interested. I truly think he was waiting underwater, LOL, b/c he appeared out of nowhere.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Trixie

SeaSplash is a WONDERFUL smaller resort located near Negril Treehouse and Across the street from Ossie's Jerk Shack. GO CAN NOT GO WRONG at SeaSplash. We have stayed there our last 7 trips to Negril. The Price is right and the Accommendations are WONDERFUL. Their one-bedroom suites are complete with full kitchens, A/C and Ceiling fans thoroughout, kingsize beds.... email me if you need more info

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:57 AM
leeann

Thanks everyone- we are in for the wedding at The rockhouse in late Nov. we are very excited. I've gotten a coomittment from about 30 people that are coming to join us. i think we will look into the Charlea Inn to stay at the beach afterwards. Thanks for the input and I may e-mail a few of you.