Need last minute help with Barbados

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be on a cruise with a stop at Barbados is about 3 weeks. I have the afternoon planned with a snorkel trip but I was trying to plan the morning. I have between 7 am and 11:45 am.

I will be sailing solo on this trip and was planning on arranging a taxi tour. Should I try to arrange before getting to the island or negotiate when I get there? I really need someone reliable since I will be traveling as a single woman.

How much will a taxi charge per hour? Also, I am interested in unique and quality island crafts. What stores would you recommend? What items should I bring back? Thanks
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Earthworks pottery is my favorite item to bring back from Barbados. You can go to the pottery itself which is located in about the center part of the island, as I remember. And it can be found in stores(Cave Shepherd department store)and the shopping area when you get of the ship.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM

We will have our 19th trip coming up in 3 weeks. I have the name of an excellent taxi driver you can contact -- I would do it in advance of your cruise and book him and arrange to have him meet you at the cruise ship docks. His name is Emerson Clark and his cell number is (2246) 228-6192. He's been rated the #1 taxi driver on the island (by the Tourism Board).

We've used him -- he's very knowledgeable and polite. I think he could give you a great private tour. He charges $20/hour US (at least he did).

Earthworks is a wonderful pottery - you will see their works all over the world.

We also enjoy seeing Orchid World, and Flower Forest. Another interest spot to see is Gay's Cove area -- spectacular East Coast scenery. I'm sure Emerson can give you suggestions.

Write me directly if you have more questions.

Lois Swanson

[email protected]
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:59 PM

Lois:
Where do you stay?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Katiekatie:

We own timeshare at Plum Tree Club, so many times we'll use that as our base for one week and then try out other island hotels. Some that we've enjoyed include:

South Coast:
Bougainvillea Beach -- great one and 2 bedroom accommodations;

Coral Sands Beach Resort - only 3 years old on a fantastic beach - good suite-type accommodation with kitchen;

More upscale would be:
Inner Island:

Villa Nova - a gorgeous old great house that was re-done and reopened as a luxury inn in 2001. You really get pampered here.

Also, Coral Reef Club -- their luxury cottage suites are gorgeous (private plunge pool too); and their ultimate is their luxury plantation suite.

We've also tried renting a villa with another couple and thoroughly enjoyed that experience. Give Paul a call at Island Hideaways (800) 832-2302 or see their site at: www.islandhideaways.com He knows all the villas so well he can find a perfect one for your use. Tell him Lois Swanson recommended you call.

So I hope this gives you a better idea of where to stay -- at least we love all these places.

Lois
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Highly recommend "Dennis 'da Menace" as a taxi driver. 4wd AC SUV. He'll give you a flat rate rather than an hourly one if you like. He's a treasure trove of knowledge about the island and seems to know everyone. If I find his business card tonight, I'll post the phone number.

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:39 AM

We used a wonderful driver too. I don't know ho much he charges for tours but at least you'll have another name and number to compare prices with. His name is Carson Bannister. His phone number is (246) 427-7686, his cell is (246) 2410957. He was a policeman on the island and is now retired. We enjoyed him.