Need help with next destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like some suggestions on my next Caribbean vacation. So far, I've been to St. Thomas, St. John (only day trip), Grand Bahama Island, Nassau, and Providenciales ,TCI. I want a destination with great snorkelling and not overly crowded. I would like something with a bit of shopping or sightseeing available. I think my next one will be a mountainous, tropical one instead of another flat island, but am open to any suggestions. So far, I'm considering St. Croix, St. Kitts or Nevis, Anguilla.

HowardC: I see your posts all over this board for many islands, so I hope you'll have some suggestions.
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM

I would suggest the British Virgin Islands. I haven't been there yet, but we are going there on our honeymoon (along with St. John) and have done tons of research. They are supposed to have wonderful snorkeling and beautiful beaches. They are also lush and mountainous for the most part (except for Anegada which is flat) It's also really easy to take day trips to other islands since they are so close together. We are staying on Peter Island and plan to take day trips to Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke. Then we are spending a week in St. John.

I have been to St. Kitts and Nevis before (on a cruise) and really enjoyed them. They do have good snorkeling, but from what I have read it doesn't compare to the Virgin Islands. They are very lush and mountainous islands and you must tour the rainforest on St. Kitts--you will see monkeys!

I also researched Anguilla for our honeymoon, and it's very high on my list of places to go. The island has gorgeous beaches, but it's a very flat shrubby island, so that might not be what you're looking for.

Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM

If you want a lush, tropical, mountainous island, St Lucia fits the bill. We are not big snorkelers, but there is reported to be great snorkeling around the Piton's and elsewhere on the West coast. Castries has some duty free shopping as well as the Craft Market. It is not overly crowded and there are many nice accomodations available. The beaches are darker sand. Lots of sightseeing available. The Piton's, volcano, botanical gardens in the Soufriere area. It is a stunningly beautiful island.
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:35 PM

St. Lucia is a great island and very lush. If you don't mind an island that's a bit drier, consider Curacao. You'll find all the things you're looking for as well as great restaurants. There aren't any gigantic resorts there, but the island has a lot going for it, including history and shopping.
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

lauren27: Please post a trip report when you return. When we were in St. Thomas, we took a day trip to Jost Van Dyke and it was beautiful. I've read a bit about Peter Island and it does sound wonderful, I just haven't heard a lot of reviews about it. I'm anxious to hear how you like it.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:36 PM
KVR

We just returned from St. Thomas. Felt the best snorkling we've done was on Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We're headed to St. Lucia in Nov., but would like to eventually get back to Playa del Carman, Mexico
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Curacao is a little further than what it sounds like you have traveled so far, but worth it. Lots of history, shopping, great restaurants and nice beaches. I also recommend that you stay at the Marriott.
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

I'm very interested in St. John, but there doesn't seem to be much lodging except villa rentals. St. Croix seems to have more choices, but I've heard some negative reviews on the island. I'm also considering St. Lucia. Which of these islands has the best snorkeling?
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM

St John has the best snorkeling of the places you mentioned and no there are not a lot of hotels, etc. there are some smaller inns, etc. but lots of villa rentals. The Westin is very nice if you want a resort-type. There are some nice shops in Cruz Bay.