need feedback on lodging/itinerary

Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

need feedback on lodging/itinerary

My husband and I are hoping to go to St. Lucia in early to mid January. We are still in the early planning stages but are thinking of 4 days on St. Lucia, then 3 on Martinique, then 2 more on St. Lucia. This is no way set in stone and we are open to any suggestions. Even the length of the trip is not specifically limited but around 10 days is what we are shooting for including travel time from California.

I have been looking into lodging options on St Lucia and I think that at least for the first leg of the trip I would like either a place with a killer view (Le Haut?) or on a nice beach. A pool is a must. We would be renting a car and I don't mind driving but I don't want to spend the WHOLE time in the car and I'm not the best driver at night!! It seems like most of the places near Soufriere are rather isolated but this area is close to many of the "must do" activities??? What about the Marigot Bay area?
We don't do All Inclusive and don't want a villa with hired help. We can spend $200-$250 per night at the most but something less expensive that fits my wish list would be great!!!! (I'm thinking that on the last few days we would stay closer to Gros Islet and it would be cheaper)

We are seasoned travelers and have visited many other Carribean islands on a much lower budget but thought we might pamper ourselves a little this time! Any suggestions/input would be great!!!
Thanks!
Oct 25th, 2010, 07:35 AM

Hi Kim,

If you do stay at La Haut then I recommend you stay in one of the upstairs rooms. They are a bit more expensive but are much nicer than the ground floor rooms. Upstairs you have high ceilings as opposed to the really low ceiling height downstairs plus you won't have to listen to all the bathroom and plumbing noises.

If you rent a car then La Haut is a 10 min drive from Anse Chastanet beach. You can walk through the resort to the beach and have lunch with your feet in the sand.

There are also a couple of other resorts nearby that you can have lunch at and enjoy the beach and facilities.

There's another small resort in Soufriere called the Hummingbird which would be in your price range. It's right on the beach but unfortunately the beach isn't very nice.

Less than 5 minutes from La Haut is Gees Bonne Mange in Soufriere. Literally just down the road from La Haut so you could drive here for dinner at night or better still get here for sunset as it has great views of the Pitons and the food is very good.

As you're thinking of a split stay on St. Lucia then I would not stay at the same place twice. Try Soufriere for your first 4 days and then somewhere near Marigot Bay or Rodney Bay for your last 2 nights.

Here's a link to the apartment we stayed in near Rodney Bay
http://www.vrbo.com/219260
We loved it.
Oct 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM

I stayed at Le Haut two years ago and the place is a good value. It has a very nice view and its fairly close to the Pitons. Speaking of the view, you'll love it but its not in the same class as Ladera or Jade Mountain which are "off the charts". Le Haut is approx 15 minutes away from the beach - and therefore - you need to decide if this "inconvenience" is acceptable. The on-site restaurant is OK, but there's a wonderful restaurant (Hummingbird) about 5 minutes away. As for getting to the beach, you can take a shuttle for $10 to Asne Chastanet beach. The snorkeling is very good and you have direct-access right off the beach.

We rented a car and drove to Marigot Bay and Castries. Marigot Bay is lovely and has several accomodations in your price range. Check out The Inn on the Bay and Oasis Marigot in this area. The view from The Inn is stunning. I'd strongly consider this place.

As for driving in St Lucia, I certainly wouldn't advise it at night! Day driving wasn't that big of a deal BUT there are several hair-pin turns, steep ascents/descents, and the roads aren't marked as well as the USA.

Four places in Castries in your price range are the Almond Smugglers Cove, Coco Palm, Bay Gardens & the Coconut Bay Resort. Castries is more commercialized, much less scenic, and is a port-of-call for several cruise ships. Personally, I'd much rather stay in the Soufriere or Marigot Bay area.
Oct 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM

You might want to check out Ti Kaye for part of your St Lucia trip - great beach/view/food though not very close to anything. Coco Palm and Bay Gardens Resort would be good choices in Rodney Bay. You might find a few others that are interesting through this link, plus for Martinique (good choice):

http://www.destinationcaribbean.net/...0&parentid=179
Oct 27th, 2010, 06:33 AM

We got married in st lucia last year satyed in Ladera for 3 nights and then stayed in rondey bay for 5 in the royal by rex loved both we found ladera very quite and were gald to move on after the 3 nights
Oct 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Ok, so what do you think of this of this plan? Does it sound too crazy?

Fly in to Viex Fort

3 nights at Hummingbird

2 nights at the Inn at Marigot Bay

Ferry to Martinique--3 nights on Martinique

Ferry back to St. Lucia

1 or 2 nights somewhere near Gros Islet/Rodney Bay (Maybe BGBR)

Fly out of Castries

If we timed it right we could do the Friday night Fish Fry near Soufriere after we arrive and the Friday night Jump Up in Gros Iselt right before we leave!

Any opinions/feedback on this plan?
Oct 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Do get a car for the first 5 nights.
I didn't like the beach the Hummingbird is on (too much litter) so I'd want a car to get to a better beach (Anse Chastanet is 10 mins away).