Search

Need Anniversary Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Anniversary Help

I am look for a romantic yet activity-filled desitnation for my 10th anniversary.

In the past, we have vacationed in Kauai, Maui, Ohau, the Big Island, St. Martin and Europe.

I want to go somewhere in the Caribbean that is both luxurious and has many activities. We are in our mid 30s and love to hike, paddle, play tennis and golf, etc...

A friend recommended Nevis, but my problem is the time we are looking to go. We want to go in mid September.

Please give me some recommendations as to islands and hotels, rental properties etc...

Thanks,

Glenn in Hilton Head
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM

If your concern about Nevis is due to the time of travel (i.e. September and presumably the hurricane risk) you will encounter that same risk on just about any of the Caribbean island with the possible exception of Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao which are considered to be "outside the hurricane belt" (while huricanes can and do affect those 3 islands it is a rare occurance). That said, there's no way to predict now, when or where a hurricane may strike. In fact, even though the past several seasons have spawned many hurricanes (2005 was the busiest season on record) for the most part the islands of the Caribbean were spared direct hits by major storms.

Your main consideration should not necessarily be storms (you can purchase Trip Interuption Insurance to minimize any financial risk) but rather finding a resort that will be open during that time of year. Many resorts, both luxury and budget, close during September and October.

Your best bet is to choose an island that appeals to you (they are all different and no two are alike) and then concentrate on selecting a resort.

Nevis does have everything you are looking for in an island and the Four Seasons Resort is open all year long so that certainly is a possibility.

Barbados is another island that offers plenty of hike opportunities, golf, tennis, other activities and has several upscale properties. Check out Sandy Lane Resort to see if they are open in September.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Elbow Beach resort in Bermuda.
The island has great golf, tennis, snorkeling, food, cute town. I think Elbow would be the most luxurious. Others may contribute another hotel.
I think you would like it. Anywhere in the caribbean/atlantic will be a hurricane zone. No one can predict. Buy insurance or go a little later in early-mid November.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM

I had a friend renew his wedding vows on St. John and stayed at Caneel Bay Resort.

Fits your need really well.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Sandy Lane in Barbados is gorgeous. You could also try the Coral Reef Club or The Sandpiper. Nevis is not as beautiful and not as exciting as the other posters' suggestions. I would recommend Barbados (hotels above), the Caymans (Ritz Carlton), St. Bart's (Eden Roc Hotel), Bermuda (Pink Beach Club), Turks & Caicos (The Somerset on Grace Bay).
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Maybe you don't want to choose Nevis because of the hurricane fear in Sept. The island reminds us a lot of Kauai, but if you feel strongly that you would worry too much about a potential hurricane, perhaps you may want to look at something just outside of the Caribbean, i.e. Bermuda. Lots of great traditions. It had been my dream to visit and that's where you went for our ten year anniversary which also fell in the month of Sept. It was the perfect way to spend it. I think you and your wife would enjoy your time there. Congratulations on your anniversary!