Need Advice on Grenada Resorts

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Grenada Resorts

My wife and I are planning a trip to Grenada in June. We are looking for a resort which is not commercial or large. Our main focus will be relaxing and unwinding from our hectic lives. Our kids will not be coming with us (love them dearly but need a small break from them too). Would prefer somthing out of the touristy area and not a family oriented place. Any recommendations?
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:21 AM

I Have heard so many wonderful things about La Luna. Check out their website...
http://www.laluna.com
I haven't personally been there but it's at the top of the list for our next vacation!
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:47 AM

I've researched an upcoming trip for more hours than I care to admit. If you're interested in one of the more "upscale" properties, I'd check out the following. Calabash, BelAir Plantation, or as mentioned, Laluna. If you're interested in an all-inclusive, look at Spice Island Resort. They all look like wonderful properties. I still haven't decided which one to go with. BelAir and Laluna are both located away from any of what would be considered touristy areas. Although it doesn't seem that any place on the island is all that touristy compared to other islands we've travelled to.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Hi there

I stayed in LaLuna last year for my honeymoon, and genuinely cannot say one bad thing about it. It was absolutely wonderful. I also checked out some of the other resorts. Check out this post which gives you more info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...e=Angela&fid=5

Let me know if you have no other questions, and I will try to help.

Angela
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Stayed for a week in February at Laluna. It's hard to beat and am sure rates are more reasonable in June. Very small, beautiful accomodations, secluded, and certainly not family oriented. However, I wouldn't choose the meal plan as there are other interesting places to eat. Also, Mandoo (an independent guide) gives a great tour of the beautiful island. We also took a snorkeling/sailing excursion with First Impressions.
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:12 PM

My family and I returned from Grenada in January - my fourth time...

It is not really a touristy of family busy island so in that sense it is really a perfect island overall for you. Laluna is my dream spot if I ever have the funds...Belaire is well recognized and Calabash too - when researching your trip you may want to check out this website devoted to forum conversations about Grenada...
www.grenadatravelforum.com
also for sheer information try
www.grenadaexplorer.com

I fancy myself quite a know it all re: the island but in trying to fine tune my trip i was pleasantly surprised to find these websites and they were tremendously helpful...

We rented a cottage on the hill overlooking Grand Anse beach at the Flamboyant - it was at the end of the beach so away from the "touristy" area...but we walked to most of our dinners and we had breakfast on our HUGE balcony - There is also a Villa hotel call Cinamon Hill with a great restaurant Rudolphs...And then more main stream resorts up the beach - Grenada Grand Beach - which has a lovely new pool with waterfall - but an ugly old one they haven't upgraded yet.

Don't go AllInclusive it is such a waste on an island that has such fabulous restaurants and many offer complimentary shuttles too...

Ok - enough out of me - go check out the websites!! And have fun - I would love to be returning to Grenada!
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Definately review the websites that were provided by the previous contributor. These sites were instrumental in my final decision on where to stay. My wife and I stayed at the Blue Horizons in February 2003 and absolutely loved it. Regardless of where you were to stay I would not go all inclusive. There are quite a few restaurants near by that offered quite an interesting variety of menu items. I posted a trip report in March 2003 under 'Blue Horizons'. Enjoy your vacation. You can't go wrong vacationing in such a great spot with wonderful locals.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

We did a bit of research on the internet last night based on some of the suggestions. La Luna looked too Bali like and a bit too trendy for our taste. Bel Air Plantation looks lovely. Also has lower rates. Has anyone stayed there that can tell us more?
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:18 AM

La Luna and Calabash are both great suggestions. In a lesser price range, I'd recommend La Sagesse nature center or Twelve Degrees North. La Sagesse is very small, with rooms in either cottages or the Great House, right on the beach. Gorgeous surroundings. With restaurant on site, more like a traditional hotel. Twelve Degrees North is more like a villa enclave with no kids under 16 (or maybe 18) allowed. Also on the beach, it has a pool and deck as well. You'd get your own villa with personal housekeeper/cook who would fix you breakast and/or lunch each day. Evening you'd get to sample all the great dining Grenada has to offer. Both are very reasonable in price. (As is Blue Horizons, as another poster mentioned.)
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:24 AM

can someone please tell me if it is possible to stay at spice island and not go all inclusive. i would love it for the drinks but the food seems like a waste?